Vineyard Trust Development Associate Job description
For more than 40 years, Vineyard Trust (VT) has acquired, preserved and managed the endangered historical landmarks of Martha’s Vineyard, restoring living institutions to their rightful place in island life. Each year the Trust invests in, preserves and maintains these important landmarks for the life of the community, its enjoyment and its heritage. Now at an inflection point in its history, the Trust seeks an enthusiastic development professional to join their growing team. Working in close collaboration with the Trust’s President & CEO, the new position of Development Associate will assist with event management, the annual appeal, gift processing, and provide general administrative support to the President & CEO. General administrative and development experience is ideal, but creative thinking, a customer service- oriented approach, and an enthusiasm for mission-driven work is key to this position.
Duties and Responsibilities: 1. Special events: Provide event management support to initiatives that raise funds and awareness about the mission of VT, including an annual gala and auction and other revenue-generating opportunities. This includes coordinating event committee meetings, communicating with donors and sponsors, managing mailing lists and registration systems, and designing print and web-based marketing materials when possible.
2. Administrative support: Provide administrative support to the President & CEO as needed. Prepare materials, reports and communications for specific projects, Board and Development Committee meetings. Prepare fiscal reports on fundraising activities as needed.
3. Raiser’s Edge: Manage and streamline the Blackbaud eTapestry database, including system upgrades, troubleshooting, maintenance, and routine reporting. Although Raiser’s Edge or eTapestry experience is ideal, an ability to quickly learn and become proficient in this donor management system is most important.
4. Gift Processing: Manage the processing of all gifts, including updating donor records in eTapestry and mailing thank you and acknowledgement letters. Work with the Comptroller to code gifts appropriately and reconcile fundraising reports on a monthly basis.
5. General administrative and development responsibilities: a. Manage appeals and fundraising-related communications, including but not limited to annual and membership appeals. Produce mailing lists, work with Trustees to support their personalized outreach, manage the mailing process, and track all gifts. b. Assist with thank you and appeal letters and communications on behalf of Board members and staff who request assistance. c. Support and coordinate the meetings of the Development Committee and event committees as needed. d. Manage and streamline all aspects of on-line giving, including website management and gift processing.
Education, Skills, and Experience: 1. Bachelor’s degree with two to four years of event management or administrative/development experience. 2. A self-starting attitude, appreciation of the mission of VT, and curiosity about best practices in fundraising and special events is critical. 3. Must be customer-service oriented with excellent oral and written communication skills. 4. Strong relationship management skills are required when working with Board members, event chairs, committee members, donors, sponsors and vendors. 5. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite products, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel, and possess basic graphic design skills. If not experienced in Raiser’s Edge or eTapestry, must have an ability to learn and manage this donor management system. 6. Must have experience in the administration of email and direct mail campaigns as related to fundraising appeals. 7. An ability to create print and web-based marketing and collateral materials is ideal, as is experience in managing the distribution of these materials (e.g. social media, email blasts, and mail house coordination). 8. Must be able to work independently and as part of a team, bringing flexibility, a sense of confidence and humor, strong time management skills, and an ability to handle multiple projects to this position.
Physical Requirements (with or without accommodation):
1. Must be able to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, stand, walk, push, pull, lift, finger, grasp, feel, talk, hear and be capable of repetitive motion. 2. Position requires exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly. 3. Work requires close visual acuity. 4. Position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
About Vineyard Trust
For more than 40 years, Vineyard Trust (VT) has acquired, preserved and managed the endangered historical landmarks of Martha’s Vineyard, restoring living institutions to their rightful place in island life.