The purpose of these events is to heighten understanding, appreciation, loyalty and connections to the Garden’s mission and its positive impact on the community. The Donor Events Coordinator will plan and deliver meaningful special events that engage donors & members. These but are not limited to include donor cultivation programs, stewardship/recognition events and member fulfillment events for Patrons Circle, Garden Fund, Emerging Leaders & Sonoran Circle member groups and planned giving workshops. This position is also responsible for volunteer receptions, member exhibition openings, sponsor events, as well as Fund the Farm and Conservation Celebration fundraisers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop, plan and execute donor and member events annually for the Membership & Philanthropy team.
• Manage catering, entertainment, any rentals, event space scheduling and vendor selections.
• Negotiate contracts to execute events.
• Manage, track and update event budgets, using creativity to maximize resources.
• Serve as lead staff liaison with guidance and motivation for Patrons Circle and Emerging Leaders event chairs.
• Compile and refine donor event systems and procedures for the department, including checklists, timeline guides, operational plans and post event report templates.
• Coordinate invitations and other collateral production with the Marketing Communications team.
• Organize and update the Membership & Philanthropy team event calendar.
• Engage program staff with planning meetings involving event chairs to execute content-rich events.
• Scout event resources and new talent in order to keep programs and events up-to-date. Desire to keep Desert Botanical Garden at the forefront of innovative donor programming. Assess donor and member audiences and recommend appealing program elements.
• Evaluate and document the success of each event in terms of attendance, impact and feedback. Design and execute select post-event surveys and report results to leadership volunteers.
• Build a positive and collaborative relationship with the Garden’s Event Services, Guest Services, Facilities & Operations and other departments, utilizing their expertise to help ensure smooth interdepartmental operations related to events.
• Collaborate with volunteer managers to recruit and train volunteers as needed to support events.
• Support the Garden’s signature gala, Dinner on the Desert.
• Other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as tourism development/management, museum or nonprofit management.
2. Three years minimum experience in event coordination or related field. Hospitality, customer service, marketing and volunteer management experience helpful.
3. Proven record of planning and executing creative and imaginative events.
4. Highly organized, detail oriented, flexible, resourceful and motivated self-starter.
5. Experience working with leadership volunteers and high net worth individuals is preferred.
6. Track record of reporting and evaluating results.
7. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
8. Demonstrates a collaborative spirit with teams.
9. Ability to work evenings and weekends, as required.
10. Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office software required. Experience with programs such as Constant Contact, Auction Maestro Pro, Event Pro and The Raiser’s Edge event module software are preferred.
About Desert Botanical Garden
The Desert Botanical Garden is a major cultural institution in the Phoenix metropolitan area with a multi-faceted mission: conservation, education, research and exhibition of desert plants. It welcomes 450,000 visitors annually – roughly 50% local and 50% tourists.