Capital Campaigns/Endowment, Development - General, Religious
4 Year Degree
The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in La Crosse, Wisconsin, serves the spiritual needs of those who suffer poverty in body and soul. Faithful to the message of the Blessed Virgin Mary in her appearances on the American continent in 1531, the Shrine is a place of ceaseless prayer for the corporal and spiritual welfare of God’s children, especially those in most need.
The Development Associate assists the Director of Development in building the material resources of the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in order to enable the Shrine to fulfill its spiritual mission. The Associate’s role will focus on direct mail fundraising, e-philanthropy, the management of the Shrine’s Raiser’s Edge database, and general administrative responsibilities related to development activities. The Associate will also have the opportunity to assist with cultivating and soliciting prospective donors.
The Shrine is funded entirely by private donors who believe in and support our mission of leading souls to Christ through Our Lady of Guadalupe and her message. More than 40,000 donors have supported the Shrine since its inception. Pilgrims and donations come from all 50 States and over 70 different countries.
Our development office raises approximately $1.5 million in unrestricted contributions per year. About 40 percent of those contributions come through the Cardinal’s Annual Appeal, which has an annual goal of $600,000. We are near completion of the Answering Mary’s Call capital campaign, a $13 million initiative to fund the Shrine’s endowment and build a retreat house, which will allow pilgrims to remain at the Shrine for extended retreats. The campaign has raised $12.5 million to date, and in 2018, the Shrine reached its $10 million goal for the endowment.
• Assist with implementing a comprehensive development strategy to sustain, advance, and endow the mission of the Shrine, including, but not limited to, annual fundraising, capital campaigns, and planned giving.
• Manage direct mail and online fundraising campaigns, including the annual appeal and Shrine guilds.
• Assist with other development initiatives, including donor cultivation and solicitation, foundation grants, legacy giving, and endowment trusts.
• Manage the Shrine’s Raiser’s Edge database and other development software.
• Assist with implementation of a moves management system to discover, qualify, cultivate, brief, solicit, and steward donors, with a particular emphasis on both broadening the donor base and elevating the philanthropy of donors.
• Maintain a development communications workflow to ensure donors and prospects receive appropriate regular communications according to their interests and giving history.
• Coordinate cultivation and solicitation activities designed to deepen the relationship of donors and potential donors with the Shrine, including the following: » Traveling to meet with donors and potential donors; » Organizing and hosting visits of donors and potential donors; and » Coordinating events both at the Shrine and in other locations.
• Manage a personal portfolio of donors and prospective donors.
• Arrange for regular communications and meetings with donors and prospective donors at appropriate levels.
• Develop a regular travel schedule to cultivate, solicit, and steward donors and prospective donors.
• Assist with data entry and the processing of gifts, including online donations, and ensure that data is correctly recorded and acknowledgment letters are generated on a weekly basis.
• Assist with designing, promoting, and monitoring giving societies.
• Research public and private granting organizations and assist with applications for grants.
• Work collaboratively with development personnel as well as other Shrine personnel and volunteers, including Finance and Communications Department personnel.
• Assist with preparation of materials for meetings of the Development Committee and the Board of Directors.
• Participate in religious and liturgical functions of the Shrine, including Holy Mass, rosaries, novenas and other devotional practices.
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
The successful candidate will be a practicing Catholic with a sound knowledge of the Catholic faith and its practices, of the apparitions of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and of the history and activities of the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe at La Crosse.
The ideal candidate will possess the following experience and attributes:
• Passion for and commitment to the mission of the Shrine • Experience with fundraising initiatives resulting in marked improvement and growth over time • Proven record of success with direct mail and online fundraising, as well as knowledge of social media • Skill to assist in building the infrastructure of the Development Department • Demonstrated ability to leverage gifts, including the ability to research, identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward prospects and donors • Excellent verbal and written communications skills • Strong personal work ethic and rigorous attention to detail • Self-motivated and results-oriented with meticulous follow-through • Unflinching integrity, grace, poise, confidence, and a sense of humor • Comfort in interacting with people of various socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds • Experience with Raiser’s Edge strongly preferred • Experience working on capital campaigns would be valuable • Ability and willingness to travel • Bachelor’s degree required
About Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe
The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in La Crosse, Wisconsin, serves the spiritual needs of those who suffer poverty in body and soul. Faithful to the message of the Blessed Virgin Mary in her appearances on the American continent in 1531, the Shrine is a place of ceaseless prayer for the corporal and spiritual welfare of God’s children,
especially those in most need.
Pilgrims from throughout the United States, and from abroad, journey to the Shrine to pray. On average, 80,000 pilgrims visit the Shrine each year.
As a place of pilgrimage, the Shrine draws people to the Sacraments of Reconciliation and the Holy Eucharist. Approximately 7,000 pilgrims make a confession every year, and daily Mass attendance continues to grow.
The Shrine employs about 30 people, and we are blessed with over 100 volunteers, half of whom volunteer on a regular basis.