Duties of the Director of Development (“The Position”): Summary: The Position will be responsible for providing strategic and operational leadership that creates platforms for donors and supporters to relate to our work. These platforms will include an annual fundraising campaign outreach and consistent cultivation of donor relationships. A focus will be on more relational rather than transactional forms of fundraising. More specifically the Position will oversee the development of marketing and donor relations in the following ways.
Oversee all fundraising programs within the organization. These include but are not limited to the following:
Creating and running the annual development plan each year
Implementing a multi-tiered annual giving program, including a high-end annual giving program focused on annual gifts of ($2,500-$10,000)
Overseeing a comprehensive donor stewardship program for donors of all levels
Aligning fundraising initiatives with strategic goals and objectives as identified by organizational leadership
Overseeing the grants program in partnership with the administrative leadership of the organization and the Grants Specialist
Implementing a major gift program to focus on gifts of $10,000+
Overseeing the Council of Advocates to increase engagement and funding opportunities
Conduct prospect research
Work closely with the CEO to discuss strategy on donor relations and opportunities for donor investment
Ensuring the proper use of relationship management software.
Create a development department budget in coordination with the finance department Create monthly reports to be shared with the CEO and the board Analyze the outcomes of all fundraising initiatives to determine best next steps and future strategy Work with staff across the organization to enhance funding efforts
Application Process: Interested applicants must submit the following for consideration:
• A resume and cover letter. • A one-page essay answering the question “What attracts you to apply for the Director of Development position at Metanoia?” • A one-page essay answering the question “What skills and values do you possess that you think are critical to this position?”
Educational and work qualifications required: A Degree from an accredited college or university required. Master’s degree and/or CFRE Certification preferred. At least three-years’ experience in development work.
Core Competencies (REQUIRED)
• Strong character and a deep commitment to personal and professional growth (we are growing, our staff must be willing to grow with us). • Experience in directing and executing an annual fundraising plan with particular emphasis on donor relations. • A willingness to work alongside a very entrepreneurial and agile organization where staff are willing to make sacrifices to move the mission forward. • The creativity and drive to provide innovation and direction that remains consistent with Metanoia’s core values of being asset driven, community based and rooted in faith. • Strong organizational and personal time management skills with exceptional attention to detail. • Excellent verbal and written communication skills. • Knowledge of development tools (including software applications) that are necessary for continuing to grow Metanoia’s base of supporters. • Ability to work entrepreneurially, providing both strategic and operational leadership to development initiatives with the support of Metanoia CEO and staff. • Research and analysis skills with regard to donor capacities and trends so that Metanoia is well positioned for long term, steady growth.
Metanoia Community Development Corporation is a holistic community development organization working to discover and grow the human and physical assets of communities often stereotyped as purely deficient. Our work increases the capacity of neighborhoods to help themselves by growing the assets within those communities. Three key values flow through all of our initiatives. We are. . .
• Community Based: We seek the input and involvement of community members, acknowledging that they are the true experts on how to address issues within their own neighborhoods. Metanoia will not pursue initiatives without community support and we maintain a significant number of seats on our Board of Directors for community residents.
• Asset Driven: Metanoia recognizes that all communities have both deficits and gifts. We believe that the best way to strengthen a community is to invest in neighborhood gifts and not focus on neighborhood deficits.
• Rooted in Faith: Metanoia’s definition of faith is “believing in spite of the circumstances and watching the circumstances change.” This approach to community development can be embraced by people of different religious traditions. While Metan...oia does not require any profession of faith from those participating in our work (staff or residents), many in our movement are motivated by faith.
Metanoia Community Development Corporation has established itself as the leader in asset based community development in the Charleston region. We pursue an innovative model for helping communities that works to discover and grow the assets of distressed neighborhoods so that community health is restored from the inside-out. Metanoia seeks a Director of Development that will grow with our ever-growing movement. The particular challenge and opportunity of Metanoia’s work around development is that we have a very community based approach. As a result, our board of directors is not the primary vehicle for fundraising because it is largely a community-based board. We have enjoyed success by building other vehicles for fundraising beyond the Board of Directors (historically, a “Council of Advocates”). This dynamic makes this particular position more entrepreneurial than most positions of its type. All of our work is highly relational and we seek a Director of Development that can nurture and grow long-term relationships between our work and a broad community of supporters.