Development - General, Donor Relations/Stewardship, Major Gifts
4 Year Degree
In partnership with the CEO and Board of Directors, the Vice President of Development provides strategic planning and direction to all fundraising and development activities for the organization. S/he is responsible for driving and forging new relationships to build Planned Parenthood’s visibility, impact and financial resources to meet its current challenging goals and future growth requirements. This includes designing and implementing a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and corporate support.
• Conceives and executes a comprehensive development strategy and operating plans.
• Develops and implements an annual plan which specifically identifies targets, goals, measurable objectives, time frame and evaluation metrics to ensure that all budget and revenue goals are met.
• Develops annual department budget in collaboration with CFO. Administers this budget and monitors monthly financial data.
• Prepares monthly and annual reports to evaluate goals, strategies, and benchmarks.
• Develops unique solicitations and presentations for special project proposals as needed through interaction and partnerships with program staff.
• Assures departmental adherence to affiliate policies, procedures, and practices.
• Reviews development policies and procedures annually.
• Coordinates and implements major gift program, including research and cultivation of prospects, preparation of solicitations, and appropriate follow-up.
• Stewards donors via a disciplined process of relationship management.
Board of Directors
•Facilitates Board of Director’s annual pledge campaign.
•Works closely with members of the Board and Development Committee on donor and supporter cultivation initiatives; trains and supervises volunteers to effectively participate in fundraising and outreach activities.
• Provides ongoing support to clinical fundraising efforts.
• Provides oversight to stewardship strategy for annual and mid-level donors.
• Collaborates with the Director of Marketing and Communications to develop donor/supporter communication materials for use in the community to promote and enhance the agency’s image and generate support.
• Represents and acts as a spokesperson for PPSE in a variety of philanthropic and development forums.
• Coordinates organizational event strategy and implementation.
• Collaborates with public policy staff and volunteers to secure revenue for c4 and PAC.
• Provides staff support for a Capital Campaign as applicable, including strategy development, research, preparation of materials, preparation for and scheduling of solicitations and appropriate follow-up.
•Supervises the work of researching, coordinating, writing, and submitting grants that will build the financial health of the affiliate in collaboration with the PPSE team.
• Ensures accurate and timely record keeping, cash and donation management, list maintenance and gift acknowledgment.
• Supervises reconciliation of donation records and database management monthly.
• Defines metrics for acceptable volume of donor interactions and dollars raised, showing clear evidence of having obtained more and often, upgraded gifts.
•Maintains relationships with the Development Department of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and development professionals at other Planned Parenthood affiliates. Represents PPSE in collaborative fundraising initiative (CFI) program implementation.
•Oversees the development of individualized donor relationships, interactions, and solicitations. Involves volunteer leadership and program staff as needed to develop relationships and solicit donors.
• Represents PPSE at individual or group meetings with donors and volunteer leadership, with sufficient understanding of the organization to represent all aspects of the Agency including programs, finances, and future plans.
• Maintains and expands knowledge and skills by attending in-service programs, continuing education seminars, workshops, and by utilizing directed reading designed to promote professional growth.
• Possesses knowledge of reproductive justice, PP brand and mission data, studies, and theories including opposing or conflicting viewpoints.
• Contributes to, and shares in, committee meetings, staff development and in-service training programs.
• Participates in Management Team and other affiliate meetings as needed.
• Trains, mentors, and motivates department staff; supervises the team to ensure the successful management of special events, solicitations, communications and other department responsibilities.
•Performs other related duties as assigned by the CEO.
•Other duties as required
•Bachelor’s degree or higher
• 8-10 years of experience in fundraising experience including successful programs in individual gifts, direct mail and grant writing.
• 5-7 years experience supervising professional staff.
• Knowledge of professional practices and theories of fundraising.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent decision-making, priority-setting and organizational skills.
• Ability to prepare budgets, plans and reports.
• Ability to work effectively as a leader and team member.
• High energy, flexibility, demonstrated creativity.
• Sense of humor.
• Ability to work some evening and weekends.
• Travel will be necessary to national meetings and within the service area.
• English required, some Spanish speaking skills preferred.
• Professional demeanor and appearance
• Ability to provide / support the provision of objective information to women about all the options available to them (abortion, adoption, or parenting) in the event of an unintended pregnancy
• Background screens will be performed and education will be verified prior to employment. Please be prepared to provide required information and/or documentation.
• Planned Parenthood Southeast is a smoke-free workplace, and smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas on PPSE property.
• Planned Parenthood Southeast is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
About Planned Parenthood Southeast
Planned Parenthood Southeast believes in the fundamental right of each individual, throughout our service area, to manage his or her fertility, regardless of the individual's income, marital status, race, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, or residence. We believe that respect and value for diversity in all aspects of our organization are essential to our well-being. We believe that reproductive self-determination must be voluntary and preserve the individual's right to privacy. We further believe that such self-determination will contribute to an enhancement of the quality of life and strong family relationships.
Based on these beliefs, and reflecting the diverse communities within which we operate, the mission of Planned Parenthood Southeast is
-to provide comprehensive reproductive and complementary health care services in settings which preserve and protect the essential privacy and rights of each individual
-to advocate public policies which guarantee these rights and ensure access to such services
-to provide educational programs which enhance understanding of individual and societal implications of human sexuality