Description Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
Stanford Law School is hiring an Associate Director of Development, Major Gifts. Reporting to the Director of Development, Major Gifts, the Associate Director will play a key role in managing regional fundraising efforts in the Bay Area, Chicago, Texas, and other regions as assigned for Stanford Law School as part of a broader outreach program. As a senior member of the Office of External Relations team, the Associate Director is primarily responsible for identifying, cultivating, and soliciting individuals able to make gifts of at least $100,000 or more.
In coordination with the Director of Development, Major Gifts, plan and implement fundraising strategies for a portfolio of donors. Operate independently in assigned areas and take responsibility for prospect identification and solicitation, proposal development, and coordination of internal support activities. Work with staff, donors, volunteers, faculty, and other university staff to assist in establishing and maintaining relationships with all university constituencies.
• Develop solicitation goals, objectives, and strategies for development projects and/or specific donor populations or geographic regions. Cultivate and solicit gifts for Stanford Law School.
• Manage an active portfolio, and track solicitation assignments and progress. Work with a portfolio of assigned prospects in the Bay Area, Chicago, Texas, and other regions as assigned to cultivate, solicit, and steward donor support. Expect to be on the road 50% of the time and complete 12-15 visits per month.
• Take responsibility for a wide range of fundraising activities, including maintaining an active level of contacts, identifying new prospective donors and volunteers, providing stewardship, and coordinating volunteer fundraising efforts. This also includes managing major gift cultivation and solicitation events in assigned regions.
• Stay informed on current university and law school initiatives and activities.
• Serve as expert partner between certain faculty-led programs and initiatives and the Office of External Relations.
• Staff the dean of Stanford Law School and faculty for visits with potential funders, both on campus and in assigned regions. This includes preparing briefings, developing a cultivation strategy, and coordinating followup after meetings.
• Develop relationships leading to gifts of $100,000 or more.
• Establish ongoing relationships with alumni and friends through personal visits, phone calls, and meaningful contacts.
• Prioritize prospects, prepare background information, make volunteer assignments as appropriate, and follow up with volunteers to ensure completion of assigned solicitations.
• Work closely with other colleagues in development to align program goals with the overall giving goals of the university's development organization.
* - Other duties may also be assigned