At Achieve, we are committed to making sure every student graduates from high school ready to succeed in the college or career of their choice. Created in 1996 by a bipartisan group of governors and business leaders, Achieve is leading the effort to make college and career readiness a priority across the country so that students graduating from high school are academically prepared for postsecondary success. When states want to collaborate on education policy or practice, they come to Achieve. For more information about the work of Achieve, visit www.achieve.org.
Reporting to the President, the Director, Development will develop and execute annual development plans to meet organizational goals, including the implementation of short- and long-range strategies necessary to fund Achieve’s strategic and operating plans and priorities over the long term. The Director is also responsible for partnering with the President to develop and execute strategies to proactively engage Achieve’s Board of Directors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Formulate and execute strategic and operating plans for development to secure annual and multi-year commitments that advance Achieve’s strategic goals. Priorities include fully funding Achieve’s strategic plan and operating requirements; diversifying funding sources; and enabling Achieve to attract and retain world-class personnel.
- Build on the existing strong donor base and network of supporters to secure ongoing funding from top corporate, foundation, and individual donors through direct solicitations and by staffing executives and board members as required.
- Access and manage appropriate staff and consultants in development activities as required to effectively solicit corporate, foundation, and individual donors.
- Co-develop and oversee production of proposals, and other solicitation vehicles, with staff: providing information on specific donor requirements; sharing models of successful proposals; consulting on project scopes of work; presentation of information to meet donor requirements, and editorial assistance to staff in grant preparation.
- Oversee and manage all stewardship activities: meeting grant compliance requirements through timely, accurate, and regular reporting (both narrative and financial); recommending and executing best practice relationship management; supporting staff in cultivating and nurturing relationships with donors; and providing regular briefings to executives on execution of the development strategy.Identify and relationship build new donors in the foundation, corporate, and individual-giving arenas.
- Plan, organize, and manage events to cultivate new prospects or support the goals of existing funders.
- Work with CFO and finance unit in organizational and proposal budgeting, ensuring alignment with strategic priorities and grant obligations.
- Manage board member inclusion in strategically supporting Achieve’s development activities. Provide support, and appropriate training and guidance, for board member engagement.
- Support board and board committees, including: presenting on development activities; preparing communications with board; and staffing meetings and other events.
• Internal: Executive team, donor relationship managers, grant managers, and development officer.
• External: Including but not limited to: board of directors, foundation program officers, corporate giving officers, potential major gift donors, and, as needed, content and expert consultants.