JOB TITLE: Director, Donor Development
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time: Non - Exempt
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
IDA volunteers and staff work in partnership serving children and adults with dyslexia and all who struggle to read… because reading changes lives. The International Dyslexia Association (IDA) is an international organization that concerns itself with the complex issues of dyslexia. We believe that all individuals have the right to achieve their potential, that individual learning abilities can be strengthened and that social, educational and cultural barriers to language acquisition and use must be removed.
The IDA actively promotes effective teaching approaches and related clinical educational intervention strategies for individuals with dyslexia. We support and encourage interdisciplinary research. We facilitate the exploration of the causes and early identification of dyslexia and are committed to the responsible and wide dissemination of research based knowledge.
Responsible for generating $1.2M through the performance of daily duties associated with ongoing donor development efforts, including: managing and growing IDA membership (currently at 10,000), leading efforts to identify, cultivate and solicit individual and corporate donors as well as foundation grants. Work in partnership with management to help define, develop and implement key donor development strategies around IDA’s three priority programs (educator training, information & support and TeamQuest - IDA’s signature fund raising event) throughout the donor development engagement process from acquisition and retention to ongoing stewardship and relationship building.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in partnership with Chief Operating Officer in development of the annual direct marketing and donor development budget.
- Implement strategies for high-performing direct response programs created in coordination with senior management.
- Manage annual schedule for all solicitations that support IDA initiatives.
- Utilize file segmentation to better target offers for increased response and retention rates. Analyze progress and results, implementing strategic solicitation strategies to meet goals.
- Monitor and evaluate metrics in order to assess short and long term return on investment for all direct response activities.
- Prepare monthly progress reports for management and IDA Board of Directors.
- Edit copy of campaign materials and create corresponding acknowledgements.
- Maintain contact with external vendors, consultants and list brokers. Review and evaluate all requests for rental and exchange of IDA membership list. Ensure compliance with and implementation of approved rentals and exchanges.
- Monitor creative, technical, postal and regulatory trends in the fundraising and direct marketing fields. Recommend institutional responses for compliance, and work with staff to develop and/or update collateral documentation where appropriate.
- Generate direct marketing promotion concepts and test scenarios to maximize results.
- Provide technical and administrative support to branches for membership/direct marketing initiatives. Respond to branch requests for assistance or redirect inquiries as appropriate.
- Prepare monthly branch membership lists for distribution.
- Prepare Board Campaign support materials and train/coach individual IDA Board members in their Board Campaign give/get efforts.
- Facilitate collaboration with the Field Services, Educator Training, Fundraising/Development and Conference Departments to identify potential corporate partners/sponsors to fund IDA’s priority programs. Write corporate partner and foundation grant proposals.
- Manage prospect cultivation process to result in scheduling initial discovery meetings. Participate in discovery/cultivation/solicitation meetings with department heads. Manage follow-up as appropriate.
- Work in partnership with Field Services to maintain and increase IDA membership through branch initiatives
- Assist in enhancing IDA’s internet presence (both on the IDA website and social media outlets) through content updates applicable to Membership and other direct marketing initiatives.
- Manage Membership initiatives including, but not limited to: recruitment/acquisition program for new members, renewal program for lapsed/dropped members, and management of membership level benefits and details.
- Assist with database maintenance as it pertains to membership.
- Manage and develop special member groups, i.e., Orton Oaks.
- Demonstrated ability to manage comprehensive and integrated donor development initiatives, including experience growing a donor base utilizing direct response marketing techniques.
- Excellent organizational, project planning, presentation and time management skills with careful attention to detail.
- Ability to generate and interpret analytical reports.
- Strong writing and editing skills.