The Samaritan Inn
Position Title: Director of Development (Full-time) Exempt: X
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer Non Exempt: ?
Summary of the Job:
This position is responsible for overseeing the design, implementation and monitoring of all efforts to leverage donations of financial, human and in-kind resources in support of The Samaritan Inn’s mission. This includes providing fundraising leadership and oversight for major donor relations and solicitation, proposal writing, grants tracking and reporting, unrestricted fundraising, special events, public relations and community outreach, volunteer coordination, and any capital campaigns. As a member of the Inn’s Leadership Team, the Development Director shares responsibility with other program Directors and managers for providing good stewardship of resources.
- Develop and implement a fundraising plan with specific and measurable goals and objectives for development of restricted and unrestricted funds.
- Implement a strategy linked to the fundraising plan to solicit new sources of funding.
- Oversee and generate income from direct mail appeals, foundations, special fundraising events, major donors, capital gift campaigns and other areas as specified by the Chief Executive Officer.
- To collaborate with other designated staff and outside vendors so that all communications and mailings completed with excellence and in a timely manner.
- When necessary will oversee the coordination of capital campaigns in conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer. This involves identifying prospects, arranging meetings with prospects, and overseeing special events for the campaign.
- Make public appearances and engage in outside speaking engagements to share the work of The Samaritan Inn with the community.
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a regular basis to maintain donor engagement.
- Serve as an agency representative to various groups who conduct third-party fundraisers.
- Serve as a liaison to corporate donors, churches and faith communities, community groups, and individuals ensuring their continued satisfaction and involvement with the agency.
- Oversee staff members assigned to Marketing, Grants, Volunteer Services, and Special Events.
- Coordinate the work of The Board of Director’s Fundraising Committee.
- The Director shall be a member of The Inn’s Leadership Cabinet.
- Required to attend all Cabinet Meetings.
- Compile necessary reports for the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors.
- Develop the Development Department’s annual objectives, work plans, and schedule. This includes: developing and supervising all publications that represent The Samaritan Inn, coordinating and managing a planned giving program, implementing and directing major gift solicitation program to corporations and affluent individuals.
- The Director will oversee and approve all public relation news releases for the news media.
- Present a realistic budget for Development, Marketing, Special Events, Grants, and Volunteers to the Chief Executive Officer as requested for consideration in forming the annual budget.
- University degree (BA) required; graduate degree preferred
- Ability to work non-traditional hours including weeknights and weekends
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional work experience with progressive levels of responsibility, including supervisory and fundraising experience
- Knowledge of and experience with the north Texas philanthropic community desired
- Good judgment and unquestionable ethical integrity
- Demonstrably high level of confidence earned from experience as a successful fundraising professional; emotionally resilient
- Passionate and genuine service-oriented disposition is a must
- Individual should be creative, resourceful, detail-oriented, and flexible, possessing a positive attitude, tact, good judgment, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to work well as a team member with staff, community professionals, and volunteers.
- Ability to set expectations, establish priorities and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications (especially Word, Excel, Outlook) and internet research
- Passion for the work and programs of The Samaritan Inn and ability to effectively communicate the organization’s vision to a wide range of audiences.
The Director will oversee the work of the Marketing Coordinator, two Volunteer Coordinators, Grants Administrators (contract and employee), Donations Manager, and the Special Events Coordinator.
Expected to cultivate a team of dedicated and motivated professionals and provide coaching and internal training, and management of departmental objectives and initiatives.
Internally collaborate with the Chief Executive Officer and other members of the Inn’s Leadership Team.
Externally cultivate and maintain relationships with a wider range of high-end individual donors, corporate leaders, and community partners.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Works in a standard office environment, combined with community-based activities in and round the North Texas region. Sits, stands, bends, lifts, and moves intermittently during working hours. Interacts with staff, visitors, etc., under all conditions/circumstances. May be required to work extended periods of time at a computer requiring repetitive motion. Infrequent light physical effort required. Occasional evening and weekend hours required.