Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
· Build and manage an appropriate portfolio of 50-75 alumni, friend and organization prospects capable of making gifts of $25,000 or more to the College. Responsibilities include developing and carrying out effective strategies, including a 96 face-to-face visits per year and other strategic contacts for discovery, cultivation, solicitation/closing, and stewardship of major gift donors.
· In collaboration with team members, identify and confirm new potential donors, develop and carry out action plans for cultivating and soliciting donors and prospects, including appropriate involvement of college leadership, volunteers and others.
· Assist the Executive Director, Vice-President, President and other colleagues duties as assigned to meet the challenges and opportunities of Berea’s development goals, including the Berea Fund and planned giving goals.
· Significant administrative work including travel planning, correspondence, accurate and timely documentation of all expense and donor call reports.
· As required, plan and participate in cultivation and alumni events, recruit and support volunteer associates.
· Demonstrate fiscal responsibility and thoughtful planning in the use and care of all College resources, including staff and student time; funds budgeted for travel, telephone, events or other activities; property such as vehicles, computers, cell phones, etc.
· Participate actively in all required and requested meetings, openly contributing ideas and suggestions to strengthen Berea’s development program.
· Participate in professional development activities as suggested/needed.
Education required to ensure success in this position:
· Bachelor’s Degree
Experience required to ensure success in this position:
· Minimum two (2) years of fundraising or related professional experience in a higher education or complex non-profit setting, preferred.
Special skills, knowledge and abilities:
· Understanding and appreciation for the Berea College purpose and Great Commitments, including the tremendous impact philanthropy has on the ability of the College to achieve its mission.
· Ability to articulate the importance of Berea’s distinctive place in higher education and an integrated vision for support to the College;
· Demonstrated negotiation and solicitation skills;
· Demonstrated organizational and follow through skills and capacity to determine priorities and meet deadlines;
· Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills, personal demonstrated traits of integrity, discretion, patience, persistence, good judgment and strong sense of self;
· Ability to work independently to integrate disparate information, and, in tandem with face to face interactions, recognize opportunities and create effective strategies to engage prospects with Berea College resulting in increased support.
· Capacity to learn and articulate concepts of planned giving and plan foundation and corporate giving strategies.
License, certification, or registration necessary:
· Valid driver’s license and good driving record
· Extensive travel (up to 50%) and phone work required;
· Must be able to navigate airports with luggage and portable computer;
· Drive car on extended trips with significant daily mileage
· Extensive travel
· Structured office setting when not traveling
· Weekend work as necessary
Ability to operate the following vehicles or equipment:
· Personal car available when necessary.
· Computer literacy/strong aptitude for the following tasks:
o Use of Internet to obtain information and book travel arrangements;
o navigating screens of donor/alumni database;
o word processing of correspondence;
o experience with Excel and PowerPoint preferred.
· Ability to use cell phone and institution’s phone/voice mail system.