Foundation Center is seeking a resourceful, self-motivated, highly organized and detail-oriented Development Assistant to provide assistance with fundraising efforts on a full-time basis.
FOUNDATION CENTER is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Through data, analysis, and training we connect people who want to change the world to the resources they need to succeed. Our organization's mission is to strengthen the social sector by advancing knowledge about philanthropy in the U.S. and around the world. Our vision is a world enriched by the effective allocation of philanthropic resources, informed public discourse about philanthropy, and broad understanding of the contributions of nonprofit activity to increasing opportunity and transforming lives.
POSITION: Development Assistant
REPORTING TO: Development Manager
LOCATION: NYC (downtown Manhattan)
Foundation Center's Development team manages general operating support, capital, and special project grants and engages directly with a diverse network of nearly 500 donors. We are seeking a resourceful, self-motivated, conscientious, and detail-oriented Development Assistant to provide assistance with fundraising efforts on a full-time basis.
- Work with the entire development department to be the key point person in organizing, maintaining, and updating information, files and data on our donors and prospects
- Update donor records with current information on deadlines, contact information, key funding interests, reporting deadlines and other notes and actions
- Assist Development Manager in maintaining the department’s donor database, which is currently Raiser’s Edge, but will eventually be migrating to Salesforce
- Work with accounting and finance and other departments as needed to make sure donor and grant records are in sync with financial records
- Oversee the department’s filing system and records; help the department keep these up to date both in hard copy and via shared drive
- Organize and maintain naming and filing systems that streamline interactions with donors and our ability to locate myriad documents/interactions
- Prepare acknowledgement letters and stewardship correspondence for all grants
- Maintain a portfolio of small and online general operating support grants for current and prospective donors, which will include preparing letters of intent, proposals, and other documentation as needed
- Conduct research on prospective donors through Foundation Directory Online, Foundation Maps, and other sources
- Assist with grant reporting as needed
- Research and identify key trends in the sector that apply to Foundation Center’s work
- Make calls to funders regarding status of submitted proposals
- Additional tasks on an as-needed basis