Purpose: To direct, manage, and implement all fundraising activities including solicitations, events, museum rental opportunities, and grant applications in order to sustain and increase both individual and institutional support for the museum. To provide strong leadership and act as the lead fundraiser for the museum’s annual operating budget.
Responsibilities: This individual is responsible for securing charitable gifts, facilitating grants to the museum, and supervising earned revenue activities to help fund the museum’s ongoing annual budget. This includes support for exhibitions, educational programs, collections, and special initiatives. Success for this senior position will be based on an ability to organize fundraising priorities and strategies, work collaboratively with the development staff, create and carry out a work plan, and successfully achieve the department’s financial goals. They are expected to develop, diversify, and increase sources of support such as individual giving, sponsorships, foundation support, grants, memberships, bequests, etc. This person is directly responsible for the procurement of all donations and sponsorships of $5,000 and above. They will personally steward donors and prospects as well as government officials and corporate/business leaders and develop a positive relationship with them. They will be expected to work collegially, mentor new staff, and promote team work both within the development department and throughout the museum. This position works closely with the Executive Director as well as board members to reach outside of the museum to enhance knowledge of the CMA and increase support of the institution from diverse audiences.
Supervisory Duties: Direction of four full-time and two part-time staff in the Development Department, including positions responsible for grants, corporate support and government relations, special events, higher levels of individual giving, and department support.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Execute strategies and activities so as to grow and diversify funding sources in order to achieve annual revenue goals and objectives.
- Develop a well-planned and aggressive strategic plan for the fundraising activities of the museum through consultation with museum staff.
- Work within the department’s strategic plan to prioritize opportunities, undertake initiatives and create activities with measurable outcomes. Collaborate with the development staff on key components to achieve all goals.
- Cultivate donors and prospective donors through continuous and responsive communication. Focus on personal contact through visits, conversations, shared activities, etc. Manage a schedule of donor events including receptions, lectures, trips, etc.
- Ensure that key data on donors and other funders is entered by staff into the donor database, Altru, in a timely way.
- Work with appropriate staff in carrying out an ongoing government relations strategy that reaches out to elected officials at the state, county, and city level. See that they are provided with information on museum programs and achievements.
- Oversee the successful operation of a grants program promoting prospect research, appropriate application content, and timely submission.
- Establish productive strategies to meet museum rental goals. Work with appropriate staff to support innovative strategies that provide services that fit client needs.
- Take responsibility for the cultivation and solicitation of major gifts and sponsorships above $5,000.
- Work with appropriate staff on the identification of potential new members of the Premier Society and carry out activities to secure their support including organizing the annual Premier Society trip to sites of cultural interest.
- Work with appropriate staff to develop and carry out a successful corporate and business support program.
- Oversee the solicitation of the Annual Fund.
- Serve as the staff liaison for the Board committees on Development, Governmental Affairs, and Nominations.
- Ensure that the staff is on track with the implementation and evaluation of membership activities to assure that this base of support is stable and growing.
- Assure that the development staff remains up to date on the uses of the Altru data base and participates in instruction on new applications. Encourage the provision of guidance to other museum staff on the best practices and uses for the system.
- Ensure that department policies and procedures are up to date and followed.
- Produce monthly project and financial reports for the Executive Director.
- Ensure effective departmental management of special projects and their sponsorships including the annual fundraising gala, chamber music series, etc.
- Coordinate with the Executive Director and the Curatorial Department on the solicitation and cultivation of donors to the collections.
- Work with the Finance Office on proper accounting procedures and reporting formats for contributed funds.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Serve as a senior staff representative for the CMA. Speak to community and social groups on the museum’s mission and activities.
- Develop contacts throughout the community to further the mission of the museum.
- Attend museum events and programs and reach out to attendees to enhance their interaction with the museum.
- Participate in professional development activities provided by the museum.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of fundraising trends and financial environments.
- Attend meetings with key organizations that benefit the museum.
- Maintain ties and activities with other fundraising professionals.
- Be a constructive and positive employee, treating others with respect and civility.
Job Type: This is a full-time, exempt, position with supervisory responsibilities. This position requires significant social engagement and work outside of the Museum. Extra work outside of normal working hours is necessary. This position works collaboratively with all museum departments.