The Manager/Officer Business Development is responsible for the development and growth of a portfolio of corporate partnerships and contributing to the growth of the corporate fundraising program. They will identify, cultivate and build productive relationships with new stakeholders and existing corporate partners to secure and grow financial revenues for United Way/Centraide Ottawa. The Manager/Officer will design, develop, implement, evaluate and manage effective fundraising strategies to meet approved revenue targets.
This position is frequently a first point of contact for prospective corporate donors. The incumbent will be responsible for new business development, managing specific industry sectors of corporate donors, cause-related marketing opportunities and third party events.
The Manager/Officer works closely with the broader Resource Development team and provides input to cultivation and stewardship activities, as well as recognition opportunities.
Program development, planning and management
- Contribute to the development of corporate strategy initiatives and activities and the strategic growth of the department’s corporate portfolio
- Manage tailored and innovative strategies to engage and guide involvement and investment from Affinity groups
- Contribute to the development and implementation of an annual and multi-year plan for promoting and securing corporate engagement, cause marketing initiatives and third party events
- Development, management and stewardship of strategic corporate relationships
- Design and implement appropriate solicitation strategies including the development of briefing materials, proposals, presentations, sell sheets, call notes and donor recognition
- Analyze trends in corporate fundraising, identifying opportunities and challenges and develop strategies to ensure goals are met
- Ensures new relationships are forged that are strongly aligned with the organization's overall mission and strategic objectives
- Develop and maintain relationships with small, mid and large-sized corporations with a focus on securing new business such as: sponsorships, referrals for 3rd party events, Affinity Programs and general business development opportunities as they arise
- Grow new business and partnership opportunities through identifying, researching, prospecting
- Conduct regular research and analysis of market trends for new funding opportunities in alignment with strategic priorities and portfolio targets
- Contact, cultivate and solicit prospective corporate and association donors, transitioning them in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure
- Identify and attend events as United Way/Centraide Ottawa’s representative that develops and nurtures potential corporate donors
- Establish trust with donors, define and uphold mutual expectations and responsibilities for all parties involved in the relationship
- Create funding opportunities to meet supporter marketing and community investment objectives
- Contribute to the development of other donor segments as appropriate
- Overseeing reporting deliverables to corporate donors.
- Maximize commitment to our community – via financial support and volunteer engagement – by establishing and growing strong, meaningful relationships with corporate donors. Establish year-round relationships with constituents (volunteers, prospects) to facilitate further engagement opportunities
- Help build and manage business development program for the Resource Development department and shape the program as needed, based on the local business landscape
General Management & Administration
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of all new and on-going programs in order to speak knowledgably and enthusiastically about the work of the organization to corporate prospects
- Contribute to the planning of donor and corporate recognition and cultivation events
- Prepare sponsorship proposals, contracts and invoices and update/maintain as required
- Maintain annual calendar of events that require sponsorship and ensure RD team has details
- Maintain and/update as required, annual sponsorship planning documents
- Add items to MarComs/RD Dashboard as required for sell sheets, fulfillment reports, etc. as required
- Maintain up to date and accurate donor/prospect profiles and records of contact
- Provide ongoing database maintenance through Andar, to meet Customer Relationship Management (CRM) objectives including recording all customer contacts and communications
- Provide meeting agendas, minutes, briefing notes, calendar sharing and other support
- Record and track all contacts and communications and provide comprehensive reports on program progress
- Work successfully with internal team members, and cross functionally with other departments, to coordinate and communicate sales support needs/requirements and to maximize time out of the office
- Engage or collaborate with other departments as needed to support organizational or team activities or goals
- Attend and actively participate in general staff and RD staff meetings
- Participate in working groups for various UWO events such as: Community Builder of the Year Awards Gala, Launch Breakfast and Schmoozefest, etc.
- Supervise the Officer, Business Development (if applicable)