Job Title: Director, Strategic Engagement & Custom Services
Department: Custom Services
Division: Finance & Administration
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Reports To: Chief Financial & Administrative Officer
Status: Full-Time, Regular
StoryCorps is the acclaimed national nonprofit that preserves and shares humanity’s stories in order to build connections between people and create a more just and compassionate world. Founded in 2003 by MacArthur Fellow Dave Isay, StoryCorps is the largest single collection of human voices ever gathered. To date, we have recorded and archived more than 66,000 interviews with more than 120,000 participants across the country through our signature interview programs. Additionally, our new StoryCorps App allows us to record tens of thousands of stories every year. StoryCorps shares audio and animated excerpts of interviews with the world through popular weekly NPR broadcasts, social media and other digital platforms, educational curricula, and best-selling books. These powerful stories illustrate our shared humanity and show how much more we share in common than divides us.
StoryCorps is seeking an entrepreneurial, experienced revenue generator to oversee our Custom Services department, a fast-paced, highly collaborative team tasked with producing earned income for the organization.
StoryCorps’ Custom Services Department makes StoryCorps programming and services available to individuals and organizations outside of our grant-funded work as a “fee for service” arrangement. The primary services we sell are interview recording days and production work for nonprofit organizations, though Custom Services projects can also include other strategic and innovative engagements, such as long-term public recording partnerships and private services for corporations. The department responds to inquiries and leads from a variety of potential clients, and works collaboratively and consultatively to develop creative revenue-generating partnerships. Custom Services staff manage the partnerships from beginning to end, with support from other StoryCorps staff as needed: from contract negotiation, to planning and executing onsite recording days, to working with creative teams on development of produced content, to ensuring all contract deliverables are met and the customer is satisfied.
The Director is responsible for ensuring the team meets or exceeds annual revenue targets and will work with other StoryCorps departments to build capacity and revenue in subsequent years. This individual must be a self-starter who is invigorated by the prospect of identifying new markets and product/service offerings, increasing margins, and exceeding revenue goals – and by leading a team to do the same. The Director must be able to “run the show” independently, as well as act as a strategic thought partner to the Chief Financial & Administrative Officer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proactively market services and engage new project funders and external collaborators
- Capitalize on the demand for StoryCorps services, turning leads into productive partnerships in order to meet or exceed annual revenue goals
- Develop new service offerings and improvements to maximize impact and revenue
- Develop dynamic and creative proposals that meet each potential funder’s unique interests and goals
- Lead and motivate a team responsible for managing approximately 50 short and long-term partnership agreements, ensuring a team culture that supports client satisfaction and maximizing revenue
- Support and coordinate interaction with regional and headquarters colleagues to deliver partnership activities as effectively as possible
- Oversee the creation and execution of the department’s annual goals and financial forecasts, and track expense budgets throughout the year
- Deliver regular reports to the Executive Team and Board of Directors
- Manage department’s internal workflow and make improvements to internal processes and resources as needed
- Supervise the Custom Services team
- Represent StoryCorps to the public in meetings and speaking engagements, marketing our revenue-generating services
- Perform other duties to support the Custom Services function, as assigned
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your last name and the position title in the subject line: for example, “Jones – Director, Strategic Engagement & Custom Services.” Include your cover letter and resume as attachments titled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.