Catskill Animal Sanctuary (in New York's Hudson Valley) is seeking a seasoned, donor-focused fundraiser, with the passion and experience to enhance fundraising in support of our mission.
The Development Director is responsible for planning, organizing, implementing and overseeing a comprehensive development strategy — including foundation, corporate and individual fundraising, with an emphasis on major gifts — to support the continued growth of the organization. The successful candidate will have experience securing major gifts, converting prospects to committed donors, developing cultivation strategies, managing annual campaigns, and managing a team of junior staff. The Director is also a member of the leadership team that assists in shaping the strategic direction of the organization. The position reports to the Deputy Director.
The ideal candidate excels at delivering measurable, cost-effective results to meet goals and a proven track record of securing major gifts. They have the ability to work independently and take initiative while providing leadership, management, and strategic direction, and excels at creating sustained relationships with a wide range of funders. The candidate should have outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively with a wide range of individuals and groups while demonstrating warmth, integrity, professionalism, and a personal commitment to our mission.
- Create, execute and evaluate a comprehensive development vision and strategy in partnership with the Deputy Director, including benchmarks for progress and needed systems and tools to implement priorities
- Develop clear short and long-term departmental plans that are both ambitious and realistic, including the creation of a departmental budget and calendar
- Direct all fundraising activities, including identifying new funding opportunities, prospecting major donors, developing a pipeline of potential funders, and ensuring systematic cultivation and stewardship
- Analyze development data and reports on a quarterly basis to ensure our best efforts are invested in areas that yield high results
- Oversee and implement $3 million capital campaign, manage day-to-day campaign efforts working with the Executive Director and Board of Directors. Work closely with staff to ensure fundraising goals are aligned with program goals
- Work in close conjunction with all members of development and communication teams, ensuring collaboration in direct mail, foundation, corporate, planned and other major gift and campaign efforts
- Oversee the maintenance of the donor database (NeonCRM), internal gift processing, data entry and acknowledgment procedures
- Ensure the success of Major Gift fundraising development efforts by cultivating current donors, establishing bequests, identifying new prospects, and arranging donor visits
- Lead the stewardship of long-term funders and ensure they receive timely reports and new requests for funding
- Manage a portfolio of 50+ major donors by setting a communication plan specific to each donor and maintain active efforts to evaluate prospects identified through field work, screening, research and strengthening relationships
- Create donor engagement opportunities, such as meetings, educational events, and site visits
- Create and maintain a strategic communications schedule to educate, cultivate, solicit, steward and upgrade major gifts by providing regular updates
- Lead in one-to-one solicitation and stewardship communication
- Create and submit foundation proposals for general and restricted support
- Manage the calendar of deadlines and work in partnership with the Executive Director and Donor Relations Manager to prepare all materials
- Guide new prospect research and development
- Maintain tracking and reporting in conjunction with funder's criteria
- Manage corporate relationships and work with the Outreach Director to develop new partnerships.
- Create strategies and giving opportunities to match prospects' interests
- Work with outreach staff to plan and implement annual fundraising events
- Plan and implement additional events for donor cultivation or stewardship as appropriate
- Serve as a member of leadership team, helping to shape the strategic vision and developing comprehensive strategies for organizational advancement
- Lead evaluation of development strategies. Track, report, and assess performance against goals throughout the year
- Manage long-term planning and revenue evaluation related to development goals
- Supervise and mentor two junior staff
- Serve as a liaison to the Board of Directors
- Partner with Deputy Director to manage board relationships and promote a culture of philanthropy on the board; support board members in their fundraising roles and responsibilities