About the Job
The Director of Alumni Relations & Annual Giving is responsible for the strategic development and collaborative execution of programs fostering an active, informed, engaged, and spirited alumni community focused on life-long association with the Law School and University of Minnesota, increasing unrestricted annual support for the Law School, and building a stronger pipeline for major gifts. The Director is responsible for the planning, implementation, and evaluation of a comprehensive alumni relations and annual giving strategy for the Law School. The Director is a critical member of the advancement team, ensuring a strong base of charitable giving to enable this elite Law School to further its ambitious goals.
The Director supervises three to four full-time staff, including the Assistant Director of Annual Giving. This position reports to the Director of Advancement and is a key leader in an integrated advancement strategy which encompass both development and alumni relations activities. The Director represents the Law School in a positive and professional manner with all internal and external constituencies. The Law School is proud to serve a diverse and varied group of internal and external constituents. This candidate will need to work effectively across these diverse communities.
Travel is required within the Twin Cities metropolitan area, the state of Minnesota, and nationally, as well as attendance at occasional evening and weekend activities.
This is an annually renewable, 12-month, academic professional position.
Major Job Responsibilities
Alumni Relations Leadership
- Develop and oversee execution of annual and long-term strategies in coordination with Law School leadership to engage alumni through events, volunteer opportunities, communications, and other programs.
- Provide direct supervision and management of the alumni relations and annual giving officers and staff, including hiring, training, performance management, and coaching.
- Evaluate and report on progress and performance of Alumni Relations programs.
- Develop and implement new high-impact programmatic initiatives.
- Manage the Regional Alumni Ambassadors volunteer program to strategically engage alumni in major markets, foster greater engagement, community, and philanthropy.
- Direct and oversee Spring Alumni Weekend planning, working in collaboration with advancement colleagues.
- Plan, organize, and represent the Law School at alumni gatherings locally and nationally.
- Identify, recruit, develop relationships with, and train alumni volunteers to engage in the life of the Law School.
- Provide support for and direction to Law School Board of Advisors and its committees as directed.
- Oversee and contribute to the alumni section of the alumni magazine; write and edit for Law School publications; evaluate, hire, and work with external vendors (graphic designers, video production companies, etc.) as needed to promote and inform donor, prospect, and alumni base of the activities, events, and objectives of the Law School.
- Manage the Law School’s online alumni communities and social media strategies.
- Partner with other Law School departments such as Student Services, Career Center, and Admissions to implement strategies that enhance the student experience and foster alumni engagement; work with law student organizations as needed to build stronger connections between alumni and students.
- Plan collaborative programming and events together with the University of Minnesota Alumni Association (UMAA) as well as peer units; ensure attendance at monthly UMAA meetings and oversee UMAA-Law School Compact renewal and reporting processes.
- Form strong working relationships with internal and external constituents.
Annual Giving Leadership
- Lead the development and execution of a comprehensive annual giving campaign strategy and work plan.
- Identify, recruit. and work closely with the Partners in Excellence Annual Fund National Chair and other alumni fundraising volunteers.
- Evaluate and report on progress and performance of Annual Giving programs.
- Oversee, create and/or evaluate new content and/or design for annual fund promotional brochures, solicitation letters, e-solicitations, and other written materials and online fundraising initiatives.
- Oversee coordination of the Law School’s direct marketing efforts (direct mail, web solicitation & tele fundraising) in partnership with the University of Minnesota Foundation staff to leverage resources and effectively implement agreed upon plan.
- Direct and oversee collaborative execution of a comprehensive class reunion giving program as part of the Law School’s Spring Alumni Weekend.
- Set strategic direction, goals, and monitor progress of the Partners at Work Program, 3L giving challenge, and other programs managed by Alumni Relations & Annual Giving staff members.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of alumni and other Law School annual giving prospects for the purpose of increasing the amount and consistency of financial support for the Law School; Personally solicit annual gifts from alumni at all levels.
- Provide a seamless interface to donors by working closely with major gift development officers who manage portfolios of prospects (+$50,000).
- Direct and implement project-specific fundraising initiatives as appropriate.
- Remain up-to-date on current fundraising, direct marketing and volunteer management programs and procedures being used in higher education and nonprofit sector.
Reporting, Systems, and Records Management
- Develop and implement standards for measuring and reporting of alumni giving and engagement.
- Leverage databases, websites, and related technologies to enhance communication with alumni/donor audience.
- Lead and/or participate in ongoing initiatives to improve integrity of information and upgrade research and reporting capabilities in cooperation with the University of Minnesota Foundation.
- Manage the Law School’s e>Community online directory; oversee contract renewal process and work with vendor to negotiate and implement technology upgrades as needed.
This position is open until filled. Candidates, including people of color and women, are strongly encouraged to apply. Applications will only be accepted through the University of Minnesota online employment system and only complete applications will be considered. A complete application consists of a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references who will not be contacted without prior notice. To apply, go to http://humanresources.umn.edu/jobs and reference job number 316458. If you have any questions regarding the position, please contact David Jensen, Law School Director of Advancement, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-625-2060.