The Manager of Volunteer Services is responsible for supporting Humane Society of Vero Beach & Indian River County (“HSVB”) shelter operations, thrift shops, programs and special events through the recruitment, screening, training, scheduling, management and tracking of all volunteers. The position requires working with HSVB senior management to identify the agency’s needs and opportunities for volunteers while providing day-to-day oversight, administration, tracking and evaluation of all volunteers.
This is a full time salaried position working at the Shelter and occasionally offsite for events. Flexible scheduling of hours but because we run shifts 7 days a week and 365 days a year there will be off-hour communication required when shift issues arise.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Recruiting, screening, training, scheduling and managing volunteers, Including, but not limited to –
- Matching skill sets, time availability and interests to organizational needs and assigning volunteers to specific tasks
- Coordinating the scheduling and management of both on- and off-site volunteers as appropriate
- Maintaining and organizing up-to-date volunteer agreements and volunteer applications
- Maintaining detailed records in HSVB files and in our Volgistics database
- Tracking volunteer metrics in our Volgistics database
- Organizing, scheduling and facilitating new volunteer orientation
- Maintaining a current calendar of events for volunteer groups and individuals
- Publishing a weekly schedule for volunteer coverage
- Developing and executing ideas for volunteer recruitment, retention and cultivation
- Conducting exit interviews for departing volunteers
- Planning volunteer appreciation activities
- Maintaining and updating volunteer communications
- Representing HSVB at community outreach events
- Assisting with the coordination of third party events
- Special event support
- Scheduling an adequate number of volunteers to meet the shift, event and/or program requirements
- Developing policies and procedures for appointing and communicating with shift leaders
- Documenting and communicating procedures for each shift and following up with shift leaders/volunteers when problems arise
- Dog and cat handling as required for orientation, training, events and when working at the desk in the shelter.