The University of Utah Health Sciences is seeking an experienced Donor Relations Writer to perform all aspects of a wide variety of donor relations-related communications projects for University of Utah Health Sciences. S/he serves as the dedicated writer for a team that develops pieces to acknowledge, promote, celebrate, or communicate impact and support for the Health Sciences. Typical assignments include writing and designing personalized donor proposals, impact reports, development of event invitations and program material, and managing projects while using good judgment and strong interpersonal skills to plan and execute communications strategies. The Donor Relations Writer works closely with colleagues in Development, Public Relations and Marketing, and prominent senior leaders, physicians and faculty members. University of Utah Health Sciences is comprised of the Hospitals and Clinics as well as the Schools of Dentistry and Medicine and the Colleges of Health, Nursing, and Pharmacy. Excellence in patient care, education, and research is vital to the overall mission of the organization. The Donor Relations Writer will report to the Director of Development Communications and be based in Salt Lake City, Utah.
University of Utah Job ID# PRN13761B, Health Sciences Development
WORK SCHEDULE: Full-time, 40 hours/week, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Ability to work nights and weekends on limited or short notice.
COMPENSATION: Salary commensurate with experience. Strong benefit package including tuition reduction program, generous leave accrual, retirement and health plan options.
- Define, research, write, edit, and follow through on development-related gift and stewardship reports, and other stewardship-focused communications which are typically submitted under the signature of Health Sciences leadership and directed to the University of Utah’s most generous benefactors.
- Research and write compelling reports and other individualized communications in support of the University of Utah’s top donors, inspiring continued philanthropy and exhibiting impact of giving at the highest level.
- Serve as principal writer for custom proposals, stewardship reports, and other communications (e.g., impact reports, endowment reports, etc.) that demonstrate the impact of the donors’ gifts. In addition to receiving information to synthesize into reports, be able to conduct research and independently incorporate changes, comments, and critiques from multiple reviewers using exceptional writing and editing skills; exercise sound judgment with regard to strategy, appropriate points of emphasis, and persuasive impact. Describe complex academic subject matter in clear, persuasive language and present concise rationales for philanthropy.
- Write, edit, and manage the creation of compelling collateral for donor stewardship, ensuring that donors receive professional and timely information regarding the impact of their philanthropy.
- Provide writing support for Development Communications projects including both print and Web-based publications.
- Produce speaking points/remarks and follow-up messages for donor events, as well as review event materials (including invitations, menus, programs, etc.)
- Oversee all aspects of electronic donor communications for donor services, which includes ensuring the accuracy of recipients, sender, subject, and contents (ex: follow-up messages to event attendees or non-attendees), as well as designing content and writing messages.
- Draft and review language for signage to appear across campus that recognizes the philanthropy of friends of the University of Utah Health Sciences.
- Maintain a clear understanding of all advancement and fundraising goals, strategies, and messages and articulate this information within the prescribed methods for doing so. Manage multiple projects simultaneously and keep a comprehensive plan of all work in progress. Analyze requests for assistance, project realistic deadlines for project completion, and complete work on schedule.
- Develop strong working relationships and understand the communications goals and styles of other writing teams across campus to ensure the successful integration of donor-stewardship materials with the messaging of campaign and other strategic communications.