Pacific Opera Victoria (POV) is seeking an energetic, self-directed leader to work as part of a small, high-performance, collaborative team. The Director of Development will report to the CEO and work closely with the Board of Directors, Board Committees and Development staff.
The Director of Development is responsible for maximizing Pacific Opera Victoria’s development programs and leading a multi-year anniversary campaign. This new position is an agent of advancement for both the POV Association and the separately incorporated POV Foundation, which focuses on future gifts and building long-term assets.
The Director of Development will work collaboratively with the CEO, maintaining active and productive relationships with donors, sponsors, grantors, and volunteers. This position works collaboratively with three staff, including a Development Manager, Development Coordinator and Administrative Assistant.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years professional fundraising experience and will be able to demonstrate a solid history of fundraising revenue growth throughout his or her career. S/he is a self-motivated leader who has good judgment, a strong work ethic, enthusiasm and a sense of humour. Experience in campaign planning and execution is required.
Professional accreditation in the allied professions or a CFRE designation is a definite asset.
Experience in the arts and an interest in classical music is desirable.
Campaign and Major Gifts leadership responsibilities shall include:
- Development and implementation of capitalization campaign strategies
- Coordination and management of a volunteer campaign cabinet
- Development of a campaign gifts budget and performance targets
- Administration of campaign calendar and tracking of performance goals
- Development of prospect management and solicitation strategies
- Identifying, qualifying and cultivating leadership and major gift prospects
- Stewardship of campaign prospects, both individual and organizations
- Development of gift proposals and solicitation of leadership gifts
- Creation and management of campaign recognition and fulfillment programs
Other leadership and mentoring responsibilities:
- Refine Annual Campaign fundraising strategies to maximize revenues, including annual, legacy and major gift campaigns, fundraising and stewardship events, corporate sponsorships and foundation programs.
- Advance Planned Giving program with assistance of consultant, PG Growth
- Collaborate with Development staff, Board and Committees to meet fundraising goals
- Provide leadership and mentoring to Development Staff and Board
Pacific Opera Victoria provides an industry competitive salary with benefits. The position requires some work on evenings and weekends. Start date is spring 2017.
Please send cover letter and resume by Friday March 31 to:
Ian Rye, CEO
Pacific Opera Victoria
925 Balmoral Road
Victoria, BC, V8T 1A7
Or by email to:
Applications will be reviewed as received. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be
contacted. No telephone calls please.
Pacific Opera Victoria (Victoria, BC Canada)
Founded in 1979, Pacific Opera Victoria has earned a reputation as one of Canada's leading opera companies. Our commitment to creating meaningful opportunities for artists and audiences has made POV one of Canada’s most exciting arts institutions and the fastest growing opera company in Canada. We invite wide public and private investment in our activities by building strong relationships with our supporters. We thoughtfully steward our financial resources, and ensure effective, renewable leadership from Board, staff, artists and volunteers.
Thanks to its extraordinary audience and generous supporters – individual, corporate, foundation and government – POV has grown by 85% in the last decade. This growth has been invested in artistic quality, education programs, community engagement and the nurturing of Canadian artists. Today the company has an annual operating budget of $4.4 M. The separately incorporated POV Foundation holds assets in excess of $4.5M. Currently POV’s Annual Campaign fundraises approximately $1.5M a year through individual, corporate and foundation giving. The company has launched a new Planned Giving initiative and will develop a capitalization campaign to build working capital, risk and opportunity funds.
For more information please visit www.pov.bc.ca