(Search # R111406)
As the Commonwealth's flagship campus, the University of Massachusetts Amherst is making a profound, transformative impact to the common good. We are the largest public research university in New England, distinguished by the excellence and breadth of our academic, research and community outreach programs. Our students are bright, bold, unconventional thinkers and our campus culture typifies the ultimate public university experience with diverse students and deep community engagement. The town of Amherst offers the perfect blend of New England natural beauty and cosmopolitan culture and energy.
The Position: Reporting to the Executive Director of Development for the Regional Program, the Regional Director of Development will be responsible for senior level fundraising through the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of prospects and donors, and working collaboratively with all development staff.
- Identify and qualify prospects capable of making major gift commitments in support of efforts to grow UMass Amherst's goals and objectives.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 150-300 major gift prospects. Develop, document and implement a specifically crafted engagement and solicitation strategy for top assigned prospects.
- Cultivate and solicit major gift prospects of $25,000 and above.
- Develop detailed strategies on a periodic basis for Regional Discovery Pool prospect engagement.
- Work in close collaboration with school/college/unit Directors of Development and central Development managers to coordinate assigned prospect activities and maintain knowledge of each program's fundraising priorities.
- Prepare written proposals, informational materials, endowment agreements, gift illustrations and other materials needed to secure gifts.
- Steward donors through ongoing communication, recognition activities, and interaction with beneficiaries of their support.
- More than five (5) years' experience of demonstrated success in special gifts and/or project-based fundraising in a development program, preferably with an educational institution. Equivalent experience in private sector sales or marketing will be considered.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Proven track record of cultivating, soliciting and closing gifts of $25,000+ required.
- Ability and willingness to travel required.
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends required.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to work independently and effectively without direct supervision.
- Experience with senior level executives.
- Knowledge of prospect management systems.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
PROFESSIONAL STAFF SALARY ADMINISTRATION PROGRAM POSITION LEVEL 30.
The University of Massachusetts is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, the University of Massachusetts is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the University of Massachusetts to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
To receive priority consideration, please apply online at http://umass.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=81912 or http://umass.interviewexchange.com by submitting a letter of application, resume, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references (who will not be contacted without permission). The priority deadline is March 27, 2017. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
On-Campus applicants are defined as Amherst Campus non-student employees
The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members.