The Director of Development will report directly to the Executive Director of History Colorado and serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting the organization. In partnership with the Executive Director, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build History Colorado's visibility, impact, and financial resources. The Director of Development will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic involvement and support.
The Director of Development will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow annual support and meet a revenue goal for membership. Annual support will be comprised of the solicitation of major gifts, annual fund, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support. S/he will expand and diversify History Colorado's donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the Director of Development will work closely with the board of directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
The Director of Development will supervise a team comprised of: Grants Manager, Database Manager, Executive Assistant, Associate Director of Major Gifts and the Membership & Guest Service Manager.
- Support and partner with the Executive Director and board members on all major fundraising initiatives.
- Expected to meet annual revenue targets by identifying, engaging, cultivating, and soliciting gifts from donors, thereby advancing History Colorado's mission.
- Actively work with the development team and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, government grants, etc.
- Ensure retention and growth of donor contributions.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach.
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position HC get ahead of major funding changes or trends.
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors.
- Identify, develop, mentor and report regularly on the progress of the development team, program and guest services.