Located just west of Stanford University, Woodland School is an independent day school that offers a balanced approach to learning in a diverse and inclusive environment for approximately 285 students in early childhood through 8th-grade.
The Director of Institutional Advancement reports to the Head of School and collaborates with the entire leadership team including the Assistant Head of School, Chief Financial Officer, Director of Communications, and the Director of Admissions. The Director of Development is responsible for all aspects of fund raising including the Annual Fund, Major Gifts, Special Events, Grants, Capital Campaign and Communication. This job is accomplished through the individuals own direct efforts as well as managing others and effectively leveraging the skills and volunteer contributions of Woodland parents and alumni, board members, and staff.
- Develops and oversees fundraising strategies, fundraising plan and donor relationships, including donor recognition and stewardship.
- Evaluates current fundraising strategies and methods and recommends changes as appropriate.
- Presents to the Board of Trustees and Head of School an annual development plan for achieving specific goals.
- Oversees the Annual Fund, Special Events, Major Donor Program and Grants to meet or exceed annual development plan income goals.
- Oversees the gala and works with the HOS to recruit parent volunteers to head the gala and serve on the gala committee.
- Oversees all aspects of the grant-writing program.
- Makes timely and accurate responses to donor concerns, requests, and gifts.
- Develops and maintains relationships with major donors, foundations, alumni and corporate funders.
- Works with the Board of Trustees to reach fundraising goals, to engage the Board in fundraising activities, and to identify new individual and corporate funding prospects.
- Identifying and researching prospective donors, including individuals, corporations, foundations, organizations
- Preparing solicitation materials, including direct mail appeals, and newsletters
- Recruiting and training volunteers
- Educating internal stakeholders about fundraising
- Negotiating gifts and gift agreements
- Recording gifts in database management system according to all IRS specifications, and School policies and procedures
- Acknowledging gifts on behalf of the School
- Conducting donor recognition and stewardship programs
- Securing pledge payments by sending monthly reminders.
- Delivering to the Business Office all checks, cash, securities, and other contributions received