The National Director of Corporate & Foundation Relations is responsible for overseeing approximately $2.5M in institutional grant funders and prospects, including identification, cultivation, solicitation, and closing. Reach Out and Read's grants program has a strong focus on operating support to ensure the success and continued growth of our national, evidence-based early literacy program, and also includes grants for specific programs and initiatives. The Manager will work closely with our National Director of Development to persuasively communicate the organization's mission, drive opportunities to innovate, and meet annual revenue goals. In addition, this position will lead the hiring and supervision of a full-time Grants and Development Associate, as well as supervise a part-time Grant Writer and a Grants Intern. S/he will also work closely with our national network of affiliates and medical champions.
The National Director works with a portfolio of foundation and corporate donors, developing strategies for retaining and growing five, six and seven figure grants, and securing new multi-year partnerships. This position leads our grants strategy, ensuring Reach Out and Read is represented as a leading organization in the early childhood space to major national corporations and foundations. As part of this work, this position develops strategies for individual funders, writes grant proposals and reports, responds to requests for information, and stays in regular contact with all institutional funders to ensure they remain connected to the organization. In addition to management of current supporters, this role also includes prospect research on potential funders in order to build the funding pipeline. This position works in partnership with our Programs team to develop grant budgets and collaborates with the Finance Department to ensure that grant budgets and spending meet both funder and organizational requirements.
- Responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and closing of approximately $2.5M in grants annually, in close collaboration with the Chief Development Officer;
- Work with the Chief Development Officer to create individualized, strategic cultivation and solicitation plans for corporate and foundation funders, in order to increase revenue;
- Lead all stages of the grants process, from initial prospect research, to proposal and budget creation, to continued stewardship and grant reporting;
- Identify and research prospective grant opportunities through online databases, such as Foundation Directory Online; through annual reports and donor lists of other organizations; through professional networks, and through suggestions from the Reach Out and Read Board and staff members;
- Be an external ambassador for Reach Out and Read while seeking new, national partnerships with key funders;
- Craft messaging around current and new program initiatives, such as our work to promote early literacy for children with developmental disabilities;
- Work closely with all departments on project planning, grant deliverables, and project evaluation, including convening project teams and creating timelines for more complex grant-funded projects, as needed;
- Provide grant-related resources and guidance as needed for program and fundraising staff across the country;
- Collaborate with the Chief Development Officer to secure sponsorship for special events, such as Reach Out and Read's annual National Leadership Conference, as needed;
- Work with the Chief Development Officer to recruit, train, and supervise a full-time Grants and Development Associate, who will be assigned to a smaller-capacity grants portfolio;
- Recruit, train, and supervise the Grants Intern, a part-time intern who provides administrative and research support, in coordination with other members of the Development Department;
- Supervise one part-time Grant Writer, assigning and reviewing grant submissions in collaboration with the National Director of Development;
- Analyze data relative to institutional funders and use the conclusions to recommend department goals and improve team outcomes;
- Collaborate with our state and regional affiliate network, learning from successful local outcomes and leading professional development opportunities in national calls and conferences.
- Maintain records in Salesforce CRM; and
- Travel as appropriate to meet with institutional grant funders and prospects.