MDC, a nonprofit in Durham, N.C., focused on expanding opportunity, reducing poverty, and promoting equity, particularly in the South, seeks a communications and development associate who is versatile, creative, organized, and passionate about helping us further our mission as we celebrate our 50th Anniversary in 2017.
As we build upon our signature State of the South report, blog, and website and look ahead to events marking our 50th anniversary, we are looking for someone who can help us build and maintain the systems necessary to get our message out clearly and efficiently to an audience of policymakers, nonprofit partners, funders, and community leaders.
The communications and development associate will support the Communications Director in the implementation of a strategic communications plan; create promotional materials; manage MDC’s social media presence; be responsible for maintaining the organization’s websites and keeping them updated; support MDC programs and internal communications; and copyedit proposals, reports, and presentations.
The associate will support the Senior Director of Development in the implementation of the organization’s development plan, implementation and maintenance of a constituent relationship management system, and the 50th Anniversary campaign.
The position is based at MDC’s office in Durham, N.C., and local travel in North Carolina may be necessary.
Primary Responsibilities and Expectations
• Newsletter and materials development: The associate will be responsible for helping collect content for and designing the MDC quarterly newsletter, as well as other important email updates as needed by program, communications, and development teams. The associate is expected to work with the communications director to implement the strategic communications plan, and with the senior director of development and senior program managers to create and update relevant promotional material on MDC and its programs.
• Website Management and social media: The associate will be responsible for maintaining and updating content on www.mdcinc.org, a Drupal-based website with some customization, as well as creating and publishing content for social and digital media, including content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Vimeo.
• CRM Management: The associate will be the primary staff member responsible for managing how MDC staff utilizes our new constituent relationship management system, eTapestry. This will include coordinating training, onboarding of new staff, and creating user-defined fields and reports to manage records on donors and prospects. MDC is finishing its rollout of this new system in the spring of 2017, so there will be a significant amount of time spent on this rollout during that time, and then a smaller amount of time weekly, ensuring that staff are effectively using eTapestry.
• Meeting and Committee Coordination: The associate will coordinate multiple committee and team meetings for the communications and development teams, preparing meeting agendas, gathering and disseminating meeting materials, and taking notes and updating status reports during meetings, as well as being an active participant, often reporting on relevant work on behalf of the communications and development teams.
• Program Communications: The associate will support MDC’s programmatic work in a variety of ways, including working with the communications director to help program teams develop compelling success stories and testimonials of their work, collaborating with program staff on developing presentations and/or videos, meeting with program staff on a monthly basis to track and document progress and stories from their work, and advising program teams on effective use of social media channels.
• Copyediting: The associate will copyedit grant proposals, grant reports, internal and external reports, board meeting materials, PowerPoint presentations, and other media and publications as assigned, often under tight deadlines.