No child should grow up hungry. Since 1984, Share Our Strength® has led the fight against hunger and poverty by inspiring and organizing individuals and businesses to share their strengths. Share Our Strength, a national nonprofit, is ending childhood hunger in America by connecting children with the nutritious food they need to lead healthy, active lives. Through its No Kid Hungry Campaign®—a national effort to end childhood hunger in America—Share Our Strength ensures children in need are enrolled in federal nutrition programs, invests in community organizations fighting hunger, teaches families how to cook healthy meals on a budget, and builds public-private partnerships to end hunger, both nationally and at the state level.
The Major Gifts Officer will report to the Director of Development, National Markets and be responsible for a fundraising goal of $600,000, with expectations for significant growth over the next 3 years. You will be responsible for individual donor fundraising across the country from a portfolio of major donors, event attendees, and prospects with the National Market. To help you achieve your goals, you will have access to extensive resources including a donor operations team focused on data and research, compelling communications tools and resources led by a best-in-class brand and communications team, a culinary events operations and chef strategy team, expert finance and human resources colleagues, and the support of our executive leadership team. The executive team is highly motivated and willing to be used as a development and cultivation resource. You will work collaboratively with your peers in other regional locations to information-share and develop best practices.
- Increase revenue for Share Our Strength from current donors by identifying and soliciting potential new major donors.
- Manage a portfolio of major donors, soliciting and stewarding five- and six-figure gifts and integrating culinary event-related contributions into overall giving strategies according to donors' preferences.
- Develop and implement creative cultivation and stewardship strategies, which may include program events, cultivation events, conference calls, culinary events, donor testimonials and profiles, and written updates. Involve Executive leaders, senior Development staff, volunteers, and program staff as appropriate, supporting them with briefings, talking points and other collateral as needed.
- Help to ensure full and effective utilization of Share Our Strength's Raiser's Edge database system by tracking and reporting all donor-related activity.
- Prepare donor briefings, correspondence, and acknowledgements.
- Assist with strategy and execution of culinary events in key donor markets, which may include advising on locations, program content, briefings, and creative strategies to engage donors during the event.
- Stay abreast of Share Our Strength's programs and activities, as well as hunger and nutrition community trends, in order to identify opportunities to secure additional funding, to share updates with donors, and to engage donors in programmatic work, as appropriate.
- Represent Share Our Strength at organizational and external events as appropriate. This may include, but is not limited to, cultivation events, dinners and galas, donor and prospect meetings, professional industry gatherings, and speaking engagements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree, plus at least 5-7 years of experience successfully soliciting and closing major gifts.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Experience with identifying and targeting potential new fundraising supporters.
- Strong analytical, time management, and organizational skills. Ability to manage multi-faceted projects and a capacity to perform well independently in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment, exhibiting grace under pressure.
- Prior experience in utilizing executive leadership or board members to help solicit and steward donors through personal solicitation, meetings, and events.
- High energy and a demonstrated passion for Share Our Strength's mission.
- Willing and able to travel.
- A sense of humor and an impeccable work ethic.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office. Experience with a fundraising database; Raisers Edge preferred.
Please apply with your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements on our Career Portal. No Calls Please.