About the Position:
The Director of Advancement is a senior member of the Global Engagement and Communications (GECO) team and is responsible for the overall design and execution of Jhpiego’s Individual Giving Program. The program includes initiatives that range from annual giving to leadership and major gifts, to fundraising and cultivation events as well as the communications and cultivation activities associated with each fundraising program. The Director will work closely with the President and CEO, the Vice President of GECO, and an Advisory Board to cultivate and inspire support from major donors. S/he will manage and mentor a team of three, including two Major Gift Officers and a Senior Development Coordinator. The team is raising approximately $1 million annually, with a strategic vision for growing the program to $2 million annually by 2020.
The Director will report to the Vice President of GECO and will work closely with others throughout Jhpiego, especially the organization’s senior leadership team and program staff. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a resourceful and entrepreneurial spirit capable of managing a team that will strengthen the fundraising program by defining funding opportunities that match Jhpiego’s institutional priorities and strategically engaging individuals with the organization and its leadership to inspire and deepen their support.
- Design, direct and manage a comprehensive and integrated individual giving program aligned with the organization’s vision for growth.
- Develop an annual operating plan for fundraising and fundraising–related communications and implement effective strategies to achieve revenue goals, engagement targets, and other key metrics.
- In collaboration with fundraising and event staff, oversee a calendar of fundraising and cultivation events both to raise money, including a major annual gala, to cultivate and steward donors.
- Work with consultants and guide the fundraising team to identify and explore potential funding sources on the local and national levels aligning with Jhpiego’s mission.
- Oversee the management of the constituent database and other key systems and processes (i.e. prospect assignment and prospect management) to ensure effectiveness across the individual giving platform.
- Build and personally manage a portfolio of 50-75 individual major donors and prospects and event sponsors.
- Work closely with the President and CEO, Vice President of GECO, and volunteer leaders to identify funding opportunities and prospects, develop and carry out cultivation and solicitation strategies, and effectively steward donors.
- Working with consultants to translate Jhpiego’s vision into a compelling case for support.
- Serve as an ambassador for Jhpiego and its work through interactions with Advisory Board members, donors, and prospects while promoting an institutional culture of philanthropy at all levels of the organization.
- Maintain regular, consistent, and transparent progress reports to key stakeholders.
- Manage and mentor the fundraising team – working with them to develop the strategy and set fundraising goals, engaging donors, and building a pipeline of future donors.
- Develop strategies to maximize revenue by setting ambitious goals, establishing metrics, and continuously evaluating performance.
- Ensure an appropriate return on investment for the institution by managing resources and outcomes efficiently and effectively.