Director of Development sought for The HistoryMakers, a national non profit educational institution committed to preserving, developing and providing easy access to an internationally recognized archival collection of thousands of African American video oral history interviews. Annual revenues are currently $1.5-$2 million but seek to grow to $3 million annually.
The Director of Development will report directly to the Executive Director. (S)he must have worked with a small non profit, had prior successful experience with event fundraising, capital campaigns, major gifts, annual campaigns, gift solicitations, naming opportunities and individual, corporate and foundation giving. A prior grant writing background would be preferred and academic training in the humanities would be a plus.
This individual must demonstrate a commitment to the mission of The HistoryMakers and the ability to function in a mission-oriented organization.
- Significant knowledge of event fundraising, major giving, annual and capital campaigns.
- Ability to develop and manage the systems, procedures and strategies to secure major gifts.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience with federal, corporate and foundation grants;
- Event planning experience of upscale small and large events.
- Interacting professionally with diverse individuals of means, including donors, trustees, and volunteers;
- Significant project management experience and great administrative skills;
- Knowledge of the educational, humanities-related, museum or other archival fields.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree.
- Play an instrumental role in planning and implementing The HistoryMakers An Evening With…celebrity interview PBS-TV interview series as well as smaller events.
- Develop solicitation strategies that meet The HistoryMakers’ fundraising goal.
- Develop an excellent understanding of the organization, its programs, goals, and clientele, and be able to articulate these in a compelling and ethical manner to donor prospects.
- Research, write, and submit proposals on a timely basis to secure appropriate funding
- Develop and maintain a project tracking system for timely submission of reports and follow-up activities.
- Develop all briefing materials, strategies, proposals, presentations, reports, etc. in accordance with The HistoryMakers
- Represent The HistoryMakers at all times professionally and adhere to The HistoryMakers confidentiality and ethics procedures.
- Perform all other duties as from time to time assigned.
- Travel occasionally. Candidate should own a car and have a valid driver’s license and
- Fulfill other duties as assigned.
Highly proficient in MS Office, Word, Access. Excel
The HistoryMakers is a growing and dynamic 501 (c)(3) not-for-profit organization dedicated to creating an unprecedented national video oral history archival institution recording the stories of both well known and unsung African American HistoryMakers. The goal is to record at least 5,000 oral history interviews and to expose this material to the public through strategic media, technology, academic and community partnerships. For background information on The HistoryMakers, see the links below:
http://vimeo.com/inforvideoteam/review/91634451/fee5c6a148 Site password: review1234.