The Division of University Advancement seeks an imaginative and driven marketer, storyteller, and manager to lead our content and creative team within Advancement Communications. The Director, Advancement Communications will be responsible for the coordination, development, and execution of digital, print, and video content for the division. The successful candidate will have exceptional writing and editing skills, and demonstrated experience in cross-channel content marketing, including but not limited to direct mail, email, online, social media, and video.
The Director, Advancement Communications should be innovative, organized, and deadline-focused, and have experience in managing both projects and teams. This position requires extensive experience in developing digital and print content with a strategic focus on advancing organizational goals and objectives. The Director, Advancement Communications will work closely with other teams within the division, including Alumni Relations, Annual Giving, Development, Gift Planning, and Institutional Partnerships.
This position reports to the Executive Director of Advancement Communications.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develops and executes content marketing strategies that further University Advancement goals across a variety of departments and functions, including Alumni Relations, Annual Giving, Development, Gift Planning, and Institutional Partnerships.
- Creates, edits, and manages the production of digital and print content that is strategically focused, engages audiences, and aligns with and enhances Carnegie Mellon’s brand and identity.
- Develops and maintains a cross-channel editorial calendar for multiple audiences.
- Manages a team of professional writers, editors, and designers as well as external vendors.
- Develops relationships with freelance writers and editors, photographers, videographers, and other external partners to build a robust team of contributors.
- Supervises the development and maintenance of a content library.
- Evaluates existing programs, strategies and tactics; recommends and implements future approaches for advancement communications and marketing.
- Monitors industry trends, issues and technologies, and proposes innovative strategies and tactics to advance division’s objectives.
- Develops divisional content guidelines and tools that adhere to best practices in higher education and advancement marketing and communications.
- Tracks appropriate metrics and develops reports to monitor audience engagement and program success.
- Performs related duties as assigned.