Calgary Legal Guidance (CLG) is a charitable society established in 1972 to provide legal advice and assistance to low-income people in Calgary and area with family, criminal, immigration, civil, and other poverty law matters that are not covered by Legal Aid. Thousands of clients are assisted each year through evening clinics staffed by volunteer lawyers, with follow-up help and representation provided by the senior staff counsel, program lawyers, pro bono lawyers, articling students and, during the summer months, law students. CLG offers specific programs in the areas of family law/domestic violence, homelessness, seniors’ issues, social benefits, and immigration.
We are seeking a talented and committed Fund Development professional to serve in this new position as our Donor Engagement/Fund Development Specialist. This is a contract position, with a strong potential to become permanent. We anticipate requiring someone for approximately 20-22 hours/week initially to help us develop and implement a Donor Engagement/Fund Development strategy (including identifying appropriate donor management software for the organization).
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Donor Engagement/Fund Development Specialist will work effectively with the CLG Board, Private Donors, and the legal and business communities to achieve fundraising goals.
The characteristics of the successful contractor will include: Passion for justice and ending poverty, Adaptable & Innovative, Relationship-Oriented, Results-Driven, and Strategic Thinking.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage relationships with private Donors
- Work in a collaborative manner with the Executive Director, Board Fund Development Committee, and staff in the creation and implementation of strategies for cultivation, solicitation, and retention ? Achieve annual fundraising goals
- Work independently and be self-motivated in initiating contacts with donors
- Assist in the long-range planning for the Fund Development Committee
- Support, steward and create relationships with donors and other funders
- Help to ensure excellent donor service
- Develop appropriate strategies for growth, retention and prospecting of all identified donors
- Build donors’ understanding of the work of Calgary Legal Guidance, our impact, and the importance of access to justice for those experiencing poverty and/or homelessness
- Manage and monitor progress and results
- Project Management with staff support (may include a signature event)
- Experience and Skills
- Proven experience in major individual gift fundraising, and in cultivating and soliciting prospects capable of significant gifts
- Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising – able to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle: (1) to initiate contacts with potential donors; (2) to develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with Board and Senior Leadership team; (3) to move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; (4) to make solicitations when appropriate; (5) to help CLG maintain stewardship contacts with donors
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of Donors
- Knowledge of tax laws that impact charitable giving, personal assets and estates
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to successfully manage multi-functional or diverse client accounts ? Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving, research and analytical skills
- Solid relationship-building skills
- Well-developed capability in Word, Excel, and online research
- Related Post-secondary education will be considered an asset
- Membership with the Association of Fund Raising Professionals, Calgary & Area Chapter is required within 2 months of start date.We invite all qualified candidates to submit a proposal including your CV/resume, Fund Development Portfolio Summary (if not included in CV), and your anticipated hourly rate & expenses (based on 20 – 22 hours/week) OR annual total contract expectation.We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
- Please forward your electronic submission by 5pm MST on February 28, 2016 to the attention of: Marina Giacomin, Executive Director. email@example.com
- Calgary Legal Guidance (CLG) is proud of our fun, diverse, professional, healthy and energetic workplace culture (including access to an on-site gym and free weekly “Mindfulness/Mediation” classes for staff).