Major Gifts Officer
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
New York, NY 10001
Type: Full-time; Exempt
As an integral part of the Major Gifts team at Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), the Major Gifts Officer will join a team responsible for raising nearly $80 million from major donors. The Major Gifts Officer identifies, manages, and develops strategic relationships with existing and potential major donors. This position requires a candidate with strong communication skills, experience managing a large portfolio of 200+ major donors, and a keen understanding of strategic donor relationship building.
The best-suited candidate will also have a strong interest in international and humanitarian issues, an ability to take initiative, solid database skills, and a facility for working well both independently and as a member of a cohesive team.
Key Areas of Responsibilities
- Creates and implements cultivation and solicitation plans for major donors on a case-by-case basis using multiple touch points including personal meetings, email, telephone, targeted mailings, invitations to MSF events, and/or to donor parties and other stewardship activities.
- Manages existing major donors, re-engages lapsed donors, and initiates new relationships. Responsibilities include building appropriate strategies and creating the tools needed to initiate and cultivate these relationships.
- Informs current and potential contributors about MSF programs and needs; solicits individuals to contribute via donations and/or planned giving and to make multi-year commitments.
- Identifies donors that could be helpful in making introductions to new prospects for funding and/or in other areas that could assist MSF.
- Initiates and participates in donor meetings and, as appropriate, includes the Executive Director, Board of Directors, Development team members, MSF aid workers, and other key staff.
- Determines annual projections of the major donors in his/her portfolio.
- Collaborates with MSF fundraising officers on areas of overlap such as corporate foundations, events, and other areas of cultivation and solicitation as appropriate.
- Schedules and coordinates selected major donor events including receptions, house parties, in-house presentations, and webinars.
- 5 yrs. Development experience, preferably in the areas of Major Gifts.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge and interest in international affairs and humanitarian issues.
- Experience in all aspects of donor cultivation (research, writing, follow-up, and stewardship).
- Ability to travel.
- Proven skills in working productively with donors, colleagues and board members.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex and sensitive material, and to present appropriate, well-informed messages to donors.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Excellent judgment and diplomacy.
- Experience working in North American philanthropic environment strongly preferred.
How to Apply
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: Major Gifts Officer. Any applications submitted without letter of interest/cover letter will not be considered.
Salary - Low to High 70s (USD). Comprehensive benefits provided. Generous paid time off. A friendly, supportive environment with growth potential.
No calls please.