SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Director of Advancement is a motivated development and communications professional with exceptional writing, organizational and interpersonal skills. The candidate will foster a culture of philanthropy within the KIA and the community by effectively communicating the KIA's purpose, elevating our profile, and raising resources to help meet our ambitious goals. This critical member of our senior management team will create, lead, and implement our development strategy, and mobilize resources and partnerships to rapidly grow the KIA's impact through exhibitions, art school, programs and events; and will establish a model for excellent donor stewardship. This position will lead the Office of Advancement, reporting directly to the Executive Director, and supervise a team of five.
Strategy, vision and leadership:
- In partnership with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, create and implement a comprehensive development strategy which supports the KIA s mission and strategic vision through individual giving, corporate sponsorship, membership, and planned giving.
- Develop and implement an integrated, strategic communications and marketing plan to advance the museum's brand identity; broaden awareness of its mission and services; and empower leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with key donors and external audiences.
Development and Communications operations:
- Lead all aspects of a major gifts program, including program design, messaging, research and analysis, and closure strategies. Cultivate, solicit and steward individual and corporate donors and advise and coach the Executive Director, staff, Board members, and other volunteers to be maximally effective at fundraising.
- Lead development aspects of and implement a planned giving strategy for the KIA.
- Oversee volunteers’ efforts to execute fundraising appeals to achieve maximum results. Continuously seek out and evaluate new cultivation and fundraising event opportunities.
- Provide overall guidance on institutional funding strategy, working with Executive Director and Advancement Committee. Coordinate all Advisory Board Advancement Committee Meetings.
- Oversee all membership, marketing, grant writing and special events activities and facility rentals.
- Oversee the development, evolution and implementation of the KIA’s communications and marketing strategy. Develop a strong plan to identify target audiences, funders, and channels, appropriate messages, activities, and public relations opportunities to increase the museum s name recognition, branding and messaging.
- Develop plan for leveraging traditional media partnerships and maximizing digital media, including Twitter, Facebook, email blasts, and the KIA website to reach our audiences. Assist in the development of new electronic and printed brochures and website.
- Oversee activities of a diversified fundraising and communications operation, including implementing overall plans and budgets, ensuring effectiveness of systems and procedures; leveraging databases and relationship management tools to achieve maximum effectiveness.
- Work with full and part-time KIA team members to carry out administrative tasks related to development and communications.