The Director of Development and Community Outreach is charged with engaging members of the development team, the Executive Director, and the Board to raise an annual overall budgetary goal of $1.9 M. S/he handles the planning, execution, control and evaluation of major gift fundraising, guides the annual fund and membership campaigns, oversees public relations and community outreach activities that serve as an entry point for volunteers, members, and donors. The Director of Development and Community Outreach leads and mentors a team of three additional development staff members to grow the fundraising capacity of the organization.
The Director of Development and Community Outreach is part of the organizational leadership team and is expected to be a role model for all staff of the integrity, innovation, and fun we can bring to our everyday work. We are seeking someone who is eager to contribute to a culture that values relationships and leadership that listens to others, aims to capitalize on the strengths and serve the best interests and needs of our community.
This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Executive Director. Occasional work on weekends and evenings required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and execute the organization’s major gifts program in partnership with the Executive Manage relationships and secure support from donors who are capable of making gifts of $1,000 to $1M. This includes all aspects of the gift cycle: (1) to initiate contacts with potential major donors; (2) to develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them; (3) to move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; (4) to make solicitations when appropriate; and (5) to maintain stewardship contacts with donors.
- Oversee and improve the effectiveness of the organization’s corporate and foundation fundraising efforts through a systematic program of research, proposal writing, development of corporate sponsor relationships, and stewardship of these key sources of
- Manage the performance of the annual fund, membership, and volunteer programs by working with staff to continuously develop and test strategic
- Develop communications messages and materials to enhance the organization’s outreach and engagement Work with Board and staff to create and maintain a high level of awareness of the organization’s activities, programs, and needs among all constituencies.
- Design, oversee, and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of special fundraising events each
- Work with the administrative team to set the annual budget and fundraising goals based on a clear and comprehensive understanding of organizational priorities and the fundraising potential of the development department in the year
- Assist with Board development and training as appropriate. Provide support and information to the Board as required. Serve as liaison to appropriate Board committees as requested by the Executive Director.