Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Individual Gifts Officer develops and implements strategies for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors potentially capable of major and/or deferred gifts in the Eastern region of the United States. S/he conducts initial exploratory meetings with donors and prospects to determine capacity for major giving and qualifies donors to move into major gift portfolios. S/he will also work in coordination with headquarters staff to provide additional administrative support for Major Gifts team members on the East Coast.
The successful candidate must be able to build constructive and effective relationships with the Development team and other administrative and program staff. This position is based in our New York office, located in the financial district.
- Maintain an active portfolio of 100-150 donors. Develop and implement moves management strategies for qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding those donors.
- Build relationships with donors and prospects via personal visits, phone calls, ongoing written contact, and events.
- Develop an appropriate outreach plan for the portfolio that demonstrates appreciation, recognition, and engagement of donors.
- Acquire and maintain a strong knowledge of Earthjustice’s work in order to educate and inform prospective and existing donors about the work.
- Provide program information to donors and prospects and draft personalized correspondence and acknowledgments.
- Assist in identification and qualification of new prospects and donors in the region.
- Record meetings and interactions with donors in the donor database.
- Solicit and close outright gifts and planned gifts.
- In conjunction with Associate Philanthropy Officer and Assistant to Major Gifts, assist with related duties for the Eastern regional portfolios, including but not limited to:
- In-house mailings and collateral needs.
- Draft cultivation and stewardship correspondence.
- Preparation for donor meeting and strategy documents.
- Logistics for donor cultivation events and small gatherings.
- Data entry for major donor projects and events, as needed.
- Scheduling for donor meetings, as needed.
- Serve as point-of-contact for broader development-related inquiries directed to the Northeast office and coordinate with Headquarters staff to execute.
- Other duties, as assigned.