At Inova, we are shaping the future of health – a future that leverages precision medicine to predict, prevent and treat disease. We believe by empowering world-class researchers, expert medical specialists, renowned scientists and individuals we can drive innovation that enhances health and keeps people well. That’s why we have created a unique center for genomic research, personalized healthcare and associated life science commercial development – the Inova Center for Personalized Health (ICPH).
The Inova Schar Cancer Institute is a major anchor of the Inova Center for Personalized Health campus. It is a pre-eminent cancer treatment and research center whose mission is to predict, prevent and eliminate cancer. The Inova Schar Cancer Institute is set apart by its immense genomic database, pioneering research, and renowned clinicians and scientists, as well as by its educational outreach and award-winning Life with Cancer® program. More cancer patients come to Inova than all the other area health systems combined.
In 2015, Inova received a transformational gift of $50 million for its cancer program. It was not only the largest gift in Inova’s history, but also the largest gift given to a healthcare organization in Virginia. That gift has served to broaden the Cancer Institute’s capabilities - especially in the development of individualized cancer care and research through genomic science.
Cancer is the leading cause of death in Northern Virginia and newly diagnosed cancer cases in Northern Virginia are projected to rise as much as 26 percent by 2020. Philanthropic partners are critical to transforming cancer care so that people can live longer, healthier lives.
The Inova Health Foundation is seeking a results oriented, experienced fundraiser to join the major gifts team as Executive Director, Philanthropy, providing leadership, strategic direction and management for all major gift development activities to ensure achievement of the short- and long-term fundraising goals of the Inova Schar Cancer Institute (ISCI) and the Inova Center for Personalized Health. Specific responsibilities include:
- Effectively manage the ISCI/ICPH fundraising team to ensure achievement of fundraising goals.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of prospects with the ability to make philanthropic commitments of $25,000+.
- Maximize gift potential of managed prospects through effective movement through the fundraising process – cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Effectively solicit five-, six- and seven-figure philanthropic gifts.
- Engage with appropriate ISCI and ICPH leadership to identify and articulate funding priorities.
- Develop collaborative partnerships with physicians and other clinicians to identify grateful patients and facilitate ongoing growth in the major gift prospect pipeline.
- Participate in pipeline development activities to qualify potential major gift prospects.
- Effectively engage volunteers in the fundraising process - identifying and providing access to potential donors, assisting in cultivation and stewardship, and participating in solicitations as appropriate.
- Develop and manage advisory boards of high-level volunteers to support targeted fundraising initiatives.
- Effectively utilize centralized foundation and fundraising services to ensure prioritization of major gifts activity.
- Develop and track major gift fundraising projections for managed prospects.
- Effectively use database tracking tools to record major gift moves, projections and solicitation outcomes.
- Reports to the Assistant Vice President (AVP), Major Gifts and serves as a member of the Major Gifts Team, collaborating on the achievement of all fundraising goals.