We are Summer Search, a $21M college success nonprofit in five regions around the country, including Philadelphia. Since 1990, we've worked to close the opportunity gap for students from low-income communities through professional mentoring, transformative summer experiences, and start-to-finish college support.
By making a long-term commitment to students – from sophomore year of high school through college graduation – we help them strengthen the critical skills they need to become college-educated leaders who give back to their families and communities. Our approach isn't quick or easy, but it works. 77% of Summer Search students are on track to get a college degree, in contrast with fewer than 10% of their peers.
With a values-driven culture that strives for excellence and celebrates our people, we are proud to have been recognized by the Nonprofit Times' 50 Best Places to Work For in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. Learn more about us at www.summersearch.org.
Entering its 11th program year, Summer Search Philadelphia is seeking a capable and charismatic Executive Director. With a focus on raising the profile of Summer Search in Philadelphia, the Executive Director will join a talented local staff, engaged local Board of Directors, and supportive National leadership team. This opportunity calls for a confident leader who is motivated to scale a proven program model, as well as generate excitement about Summer Search with donors, civic leaders, students and families in the Philadelphia community.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
In order to drive growth and ensure sustainability of the Philadelphia program, the Executive Director will:
- Champion and ensure strategic alignment with Summer Search’s national priorities and standards in order to achieve mutually beneficial goals across local site and entire organization.
- Serve as a highly visible ambassador and spokesperson in order to elevate the brand and profile of Summer Search within the city and local community.
- Develop and execute upon a vision to serve 190 high school and college students, and meet a fundraising goal of $878,000 in the current fiscal year, with the potential to scale significantly in years to come.
- Partner with the Director of Development, Board of Directors, and National development team to drive a strong fundraising effort, including the solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship of major donors, foundations, and corporations.
- Manage and partner with the Board Chair and 18-member Board of Directors in order to leverage volunteers as strategic thought partners, fundraisers and external stewards. Engage in efforts to attract new and notable Board members.
- Partner with Program Director and National program team to ensure the highest quality delivery of programs through analyzing program inputs and outputs to make key decisions.
- Foster the high-performance and collaboration of the entire site team, setting the tone for an authentic and positive work environment that results in staff satisfaction and retention.
- Directly supervise and coach a Program Director who oversees the 3-member program team, inclusive of High School Mentoring, Summer Trips, College Success, and Alumni Relations programming.
- Partner with local and national leadership to drive forward local equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) efforts that advance Summer Search’s national strategic priorities and focus on EDI.
- Cultivate a climate of inclusiveness that promotes understanding and respect for diversity across staff, Board, students, donors, and school and community partners.
- Oversee sound financial management for the region, partnering with the Board of Directors and National office to build and manage the annual regional budget.