Since 1948 when Dorothy Bullitt founded Seattle’s iconic classical music station, Classical KING FM 98.1 has been a major player in the arts and cultural communities of the Pacific Northwest. In 2011, KING FM became a non-profit, listener-supported station. The public radio operating model enables the station to better serve its 300,000 listeners and fulfill our mission to “actively grow, diversify, and enrich the love of Classical Music in our community by providing a Voice for Classical Music and the Arts.”
KING FM is looking for a full-time Development Director who will work with the General Manager, Board of Directors, and staff to take KING FM to the next level of engagement in order to fulfill the mission. The Development Director reports to the General Manager.
The Development Director is responsible for leading and managing the development team in the design and implementation of an integrated fundraising, communications and outreach strategy to meet the revenue needs of the organization. The 2017 Annual Campaign goal is $3.3 million. The Development Director manages eight employees as well as the Board Development Committee.
The Development Director is part of KING FM’s senior management team and will work closely the General Manager, Board, and staff members, to successfully leverage all resources to implement fundraising plans, enhance the KING FM brand locally, and strengthen the public radio community nationally
Specific Duties include:
- Participate in KING's strategic planning process, identify fundraising and marketing implications, and lead development team's implementation.
- Prepare and implement the Annual Development plan to achieve revenue goals.
- Work closely with General Manager and Campaign Consultants on specific fundraising plans. Implement those plans in conjunction with the Annual Development plan.
- Recruit, manage, and evaluate the development team consistent with KING's values. Guide the professional development of staff and ensure that they stay abreast of trends that may impact fundraising efforts,
- Oversee the Membership Program to increase new member participation, increase donor retention, ensure sustained giving program targets are reached, and increase overall gift revenue. Lead staff to maximize productivity, creativity, and financial results via direct mail, electronic mail, and on-air fundraising efforts, ensuring that all communications reflect strategy and guidelines. Develop and implement new strategies for revenue generation, including web-based initiatives.
- Provide leadership and oversight to Senior Major Gifts Officer to maximize the annual campaign and prepare for a capital campaign. Identify opportunities for special campaigns, such as operating, special project, endowment, capital, and station facilities plan.
- Manage Database Director, oversee fundraising recordkeeping systems ensuring data accuracy, donor privacy, acknowledgement and recognition, and timely reporting.
- Oversee Foundation and Government Grants Program. Work closely with programming staff to identify special projects and other funding opportunities. Ensure grant compliance, including reporting, for all institutional gifts.
- Guide KING’s Planned Giving Program, keeping donors and prospects informed of the stations needs now and in the future, and encouraging bequests, charitable gift annuities, and other planned giving vehicles. Oversee the development of planned giving marketing strategies to families, trust and estate attorneys, wealth managers, and investment advisors.
- Oversee creation and execution of special events and projects to maximize visibility and revenue.
- Develop public relations materials and communications to enhance KING's image with members and nonmembers. Promote fundraising programs and increase brand visibility.
- Prepare and manage Annual Campaign Revenue and Expense Budget for approval by General Manager.
- Attend public radio conferences and meetings, as appropriate.
- Participate in station-wide initiatives, as needed.
- Represent KING to the public radio community nationally and maintain strong relationships with relevant organizations.