The Chief Development Officer (CDO) is responsible for leading the organizational effort to raise the philanthropic funds that enable the sustainable and strategic development of the organization. The CDO has experience developing and executing fundraising strategy with a clear track record of raising $1M+ annually and an appetite for outreach and business development. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a fearlessness about telling JSA's story, relentlessness in pursuing ambitious goals to grow JSA's revenue and impact, and commitment to partnering with the CEO, Board of Directors and staff to ensure those goals are met. The CDO will supervise the Development Manager and Development Assistant, and will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer. The Junior State of America brings together a remarkably diverse coalition of rising leaders, and together with the board, an alumni network of more than 400,000, and foundation and corporate stakeholders we look to grow our development income to $2 million and beyond, so that we can educate and prepare even more young people for life-long involvement and responsible leadership in a democratic society.
Department Management, Strategy Development, and Evaluation (40%):
- In close collaboration with CEO, executive management, and board chair, build a vision and corresponding development strategy to meet the needs and mission of the organization and drive development growth.
- Prioritize efforts amongst major donors, foundations, corporations, grants, and alumni, and other supporters.
- Recommend and manage short- and long-term fund development strategies and ensure goals are met.
- Lead efforts to identify and secure new and diversified support, including outreach and substantive presentations to prospective funders about JSA's current programs and future projects.
- Establish performance measures, monitor results and support the evaluation of fundraising activities to meet agreed targets.
- In collaboration with CEO and CFO, ensure compliance with laws and regulations, maintain accountability standards to funders, and ensure ethical compliance and high standards.
- Help develop a communications strategy to publicize JSA's programs and mission and connect with current and potential stakeholders, including donors and alumni.
- Provide talent development within the department, supervising, training and motivating staff; resolving conflicts where appropriate; and maintaining accountability standards.
- Help create a culture of philanthropy organization-wide.
Relationship Development, Donor Cultivation, and Solicitation (40%):
- In collaboration with CEO and board leadership, identify and approach key foundations and organizations to support the Foundation's mission and specific initiatives.
- Build a case for support.
- Solicit funders and prospects through direct and personal interactions.
- Represent the organization and its mission to current and prospective funders, volunteers, and partners.
- Develop relationships with board members and support their philanthropic efforts, including training and coaching them in cultivation and solicitation of prospects and donors.
- Identify planned giving prospects and work with board leadership to cultivate and solicit these prospects.
- Oversee department outreach efforts to ensure all relevant donors and prospects are solicited during campaigns and events, including through identifying volunteers and hiring skilled contract/short-term labor.
- Monitor JSA's portfolio of major donors, working with board members, CEO to cultivate, solicit, and steward all donors in this portfolio throughout the fiscal year.
Foundation and Corporate Relations (20%):
- Identify, prioritize, and cultivate foundation and corporate relationships; convert to funding where possible.
- Oversee the organization's grant and report writing, and coordinate the process with the relevant staff.
- Coordinate with other staff to gather information and develop reports for funders.
- Ensure the timely delivery of grants materials, letters of inquiry, grant applications, and grant reports.
- Coordinate with other staff to translate accomplishments into compelling reports and materials.
*Other duties as assigned