Working closely with VP of Gift Planning and Director of Annual Giving, Gift Planning Officer is responsible for planning and implementing donor relations and marketing strategies for the Aquarium's gift planning and endowment programs, including stewardship of Ocean Legacy donors and prospects.
- Helps develop strategies for personal cultivation, solicitation, renewals and stewardship of current Ocean Legacy donors. Maintains regular, personal communication with assigned portfolio of Ocean Legacy donors and prospects. Meets agreed-upon individual contact goals including but not limited to telephone calls, personal meetings, Aquarium tours and personalized program updates.
- Helps develop annual marketing plan for gift planning program to cultivate, steward and solicit (as appropriate) members and donors, volunteers, legal and financial advisors concerning planned gifts. Works with Development Research Analyst to research Ocean Legacy prospects and donors.
- Works with Development Coordinator and administrative team, to implement the marketing plan for all gift planning projects and communications; includes cultivation mailings and emails, acquisition appeals, recognition lists, and other donor relations strategies; creates and updates marketing materials and copy; provides progress and tracking reports for marketing strategies.
- Works with Annual Fund Administrative team to oversee the administration of planned gifts, tax forms, probate proceedings and other estate documents pertaining to bequests, gift processing and acknowledgments and responds to inquiries. Also serves as a primary contact with Finance on trust and endowment documents including endowment copy for the annual review and donors reports. Provides progress reports for Ocean Legacy donors, bequests and endowment gifts.
- Serves as a primary contact for estate planning professionals; provides stewardship and cultivates them through emails, mailings, holiday cards, meetings and events.
- Serves as a primary contact with other departments and outside vendor on Gift Planning web page updates and print materials.
- Works with Special Events and Annual Fund teams to coordinate gift planning seminars, receptions and meetings; includes reporting on and responding to RSVPs and attending events and tracking RSVPs in Raiser's Edge.
- Maintains technical expertise with respect to gift planning and charitable estate planning. Prepares sample gift illustrations, as needed using PG Calc software.
- Under the direction of VP of Gift Planning and Director of Annual Giving, updates and maintains Aquarium Gift Acceptance policies and procedures related to recording, reporting and administering planned gifts consistent with best practices and regulatory requirements.
Absolutely Required Skills / Knowledge / Ability / Experience or Education
- Minimum four year degree
- Must have a successful fundraising track record and direct experience working with legacy donors
- Ability to examine financial and legal documents
- Excellent organizational, customer service and written/oral communications skills
- Must be willing to travel and able to work well in a fast paced, team environment
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office
Desired Skills / Knowledge / Ability / Experience or Education
- Post graduate degree preferred
- Understands the various charitable planned and deferred giving vehicles
- Experience in planning and executing a gift planning program
- Experience using PG Calc or similar planned giving software
- Two years of experience working with database programs, Raiser's Edge preferred