The Lymphoma Research Foundation (LRF) is the nation’s largest non-profit organization devoted to funding innovative research and serving the lymphoma community through a comprehensive series of education programs, outreach initiatives and patient services. The Foundation’s mission is to eradicate lymphoma and serve those touched by this disease.
LRF remains dedicated to finding a cure for lymphoma through an aggressively-funded research program and by supporting the next generation of lymphoma researchers. To date, the Foundation has awarded more than $60 million in biomedical research focused on the origins and treatment of lymphoma. The LRF grant portfolio is comprised of the following grant mechanisms:
- Clinical Investigator Career Development Awards
- Disease-specific Research Initiatives
- Lymphoma Clinical Research Mentoring Program
This work is guided by the Foundation’s Scientific Advisory Board, comprised of 45 world-renowned lymphoma experts. This body directs all research activities and seeks out the most innovative and promising lymphoma research projects for support.
LRF provides education for people with lymphoma, their loved ones and caregivers, including comprehensive disease guides and publications, in-person conferences and online resources. The Foundation’s patient services provide direct support to people who have received a lymphoma diagnosis. These services include:
- Clinical Trials Information Service
- Lymphoma Helpline
- Lymphoma Support Network
- Patient Aid Grants
The Foundation also provides continuing medical education programs designed to increase the knowledge, skills and performance of healthcare professionals who treat and care for people with lymphoma.
An industry leader in electronic and digital communications, the Foundation maintains eight websites to assist the lymphoma community raise funds and awareness for its mission. The Foundation currently maintains a presence on Facebook, Instagram, Google+, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube and has won several national awards for its innovative use of social media. LRF developed a first of its kind mobile app for people with lymphoma, recognized by Apple as one of the best medical apps in the country.
LRF offers numerous fundraising and awareness programs, allowing members of the lymphoma community to become involved with the organization and support the LRF mission.
LRF has an operating budget of $10 million and a professional staff of 40. Its national headquarters is located in New York City. For more information please visit: www.lymphoma.org.
The Lymphoma Research Foundation seeks a Director of Development to lead the organization’s fundraising program into the next stage of its growth. The Director will provide strategic leadership and creative direction to an integrated team of distinguished events, stewardship, active lifestyle events, and community engagement staff.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Director of Development will be tasked with growing, diversifying and strengthening the Foundation’s individual and corporate revenue streams, to support the organization’s operational and strategic goals. The incumbent will work closely with the CEO to develop strategies and tactics to strengthen the organization’s corporate fundraising portfolio and related activities, and expanding the organization’s individual major gift fundraising.
The Director of Development should be an experienced and entrepreneurial candidate who is self-motivated and eager to work across the organization in a highly collaborative manner with members of the Foundation’s senior staff. S/he must utilize data-informed decision-making strategies, industry best practices, and a philosophy of continuous improvement. The Director of Development must be focused, strategic, and possess strong planning and management skills. S/he must be a skillful staff leader, effective in recruiting, supervising, and mentoring a group of professionals.
- Create and implement a national strategic plan for all fundraising activities, including annual/major gifts, corporate sponsorships, online giving, special events and planned gifts; work with the CEO, Resource Development Council, volunteer leaders and staff, to successfully execute the plan.
- Build and grow an effective development program that will generate diverse financial support for, and public awareness of, the Foundation and its mission.
- Lead the Development Department to attain strategic and operational goals. Allocate resources within the office to meet fundraising goals for both staff-driven and volunteer-driven programs.
- Participate in setting organizational strategy, goals and objectives as an active member of the LRF management team.
- Serve as an articulate and highly active and visible spokesperson to the donor community and a variety of key constituencies to enhance recognition and support for LRF.
- Ensure that best practices and new and emerging technologies such as online giving are appropriately incorporated into existing development activities in order to grow department’s success and efficiency.
- Maintain a personal portfolio of individual principal/planned gift donors and prospects; develop creative identification, cultivation and solicitation strategies, moving potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward closure.
- Serve as a principal in the process that obtains input from organization leadership to identify and recommend priorities for potential philanthropic projects that will yield the highest impact for the Foundation.
- Provide appropriate oversight of development systems and procedures; control expenses associated with LRF fundraising and accurately report the results in compliance with standards set by the CEO; work with the COO to properly coordinate and support development activities and data management.