The Manager, External Relations & Individual Giving is responsible for raising $200,000+ annually to support organizational sustainability and growth through membership/donor cultivation and retention, and implements programs that rally the Step Up community around the mission while supporting Step Up’s programming for teen girls.
Step Up is a national nonprofit membership organization whose mission it is to propel girls from under-resourced communities to fulfill their potential by empowering them to become confident, college-bound, career-focused, and ready to join the next generation of professional women. We work with teen girls in our partner high schools to deliver a robust curriculum of after-school, weekend, and summer activities.
Step up leverages our professional women members who give back as donors, mentors and volunteers to make our local communities and the Step Up programs a success.
Step Up is currently serving 1,000 girls annually. We are in the midst of executing on an exciting strategic plan focused on scaling our impact dramatically, with the goal of having served 12,000 girls nationally in six cities by 2020.
Take Pride in Involvement. Be Inspired by and for Each Other. Take the Long View. Celebrate Success. Innovate. Take Action. Trust Teamwork. Amplify our Message.
This position reports to local office’s director of development.
A successful Manager, External Relations & Individual Giving will achieve the following outcomes:
- Be personally responsible for raising a minimum of $190,000 in the first year in individual giving based-revenue primarily through member acquisition and retention, giving campaigns, innovative digital fundraising campaigns, and peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns
- Increase local individual fundraising dollars by a minimum of 20% a year through 2020
- Raise $50,000+ annually in corporate-based revenue in the first year primarily through corporate member retention
- Engage more than 250 women annually as mentors in Step Up’s high-impact after-school and Saturday programming for teen girls.
- Develop & maintain a portfolio of prospective donors (giving $1,000-$10,000) to cultivate, solicit and steward
- Develop and execute turnkey strategies for existing member/donor renewals and upgrades at levels below $1,000
- Lead donor strategy and serve as host for Step Up’s member recruitment events including Meet + Mentors, panels, breakfasts, shopping events and a signature fundraiser, in collaboration with the Program Manager, Development and Events
- Lead strategy for integrating solicitation and stewardship methods & messaging into all events
- Assist the local Board of Directors with the recruitment and retention of key donors, including by leading the Individual Fundraising committee of the board, planning trainings, presentations and strategy
- Collaborate with national team of staff members to devise and execute best practices and strategies for member & donor acquisition and retention
- Develop digital fundraising strategies in partnership with national communications manager for current and new audiences and implement ongoing online fundraising efforts.
- Participate in analysis and evaluation of all fundraising campaigns
- Set and track annual individual giving goals
- Execute and manage the donor/member acknowledgement activities
- Contribute and author marketing communications content via e-blasts, social media and the Step Up website and blog
- Build and follow annual individual fundraising plan, including targets, benchmarks, stewardship and cultivation strategy, acquisition and renewal strategy
- Lead strategy around member/donor onboarding and execute member welcome activities when new supporters join
- Serve as primary contact and liaison for all inquiries, feedback and ideas
- Communicate with supporters about engagement opportunities, events, and organizational successes
- Recruit volunteer mentors and collaborate on mentor training with Teen Programs staff members
- Ensure donor satisfaction/retention through email, telephone, face-to-face meetings, thank you notes and and other stewardship activities
- Manage the Connections Committee, which assists the MPM in member recruitment and solicitation on-site at events
- Manage and keep accurate records of Step Up member information in the Salesforce CRM database (Salesforce) including contact updates, events attended, conversations, customer service inquiries
- Communicate with and engage Step Up alumnae once they graduate from high school and become Step Up members