American Progress seeks a self-starter with strong written and verbal communications skills, as well as an ability to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment, for the foundation relations manager position, helping to contribute to the growing foundation relations team. This position will help American Progress pursue and capitalize on emerging opportunities for foundation funding and will help produce written communications for the organization. The manager will work closely with the director of foundation relations and members of the foundation relations unit to drive a robust foundation fundraising program designed to increase support over the next several years. This position is ideal for a deadline-driven, detail-oriented, and well-organized development professional who is committed to a progressive policy agenda.
The Foundation Relations unit works with program staff at both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3), and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4), in order to become familiar with program content and make the case for support for various programs, conduct ongoing research to identify foundation funding opportunities, collaborate on strategies for approaching foundation prospects, and track all foundation activity and deadlines.
- Implement strategies and activities designed to increase support from existing foundation funders and identify new potential foundation support.
- Research the giving interests of foundation funders, stay abreast of philanthropic trends and recent foundation giving, and identify new opportunities for funding that align with American Progress’ programs through prospect research.
- Prepare foundation materials, including but not limited to proposals, letters of inquiry, grant reports, agreements, email, presentations, and acknowledgment letters. This includes drafting original copy, editing, formatting, and printing as needed.
- Assist with planning and execution of meetings with foundation staff, research and draft briefings for executive leadership in advance of foundation meetings, and prepare senior staff for foundation meetings and phone calls.
- Cultivate relationships with both current and prospective donors, and assist program staff with their fundraising efforts as necessary.
- Track grant requirements and deadlines, as well as contact between American Progress and funders.
- Liaise with program and finance staff to monitor grant spending.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.