Donor Relations/Stewardship, Foundation, Major Gifts
4 Year Degree
Job Tittle: Director of Individual Giving
No. of Direct Reports: 2
Location: Washington, D.C.
Budget Responsibilities: Yes
Reports to: Executive Director, MSI-US
MSI-US promotes Marie Stopes International’s mission to provide sexual and reproductive healthcare to millions of underserved women around the world and works to advance international reproductive health and rights within this context. This position’s primary responsibility will be to execute on MSI’s development strategy for the US market and further its mission through the acquisition and stewardship of new high net worth individual donors (HNWI).
MSI-US seeks an experienced and talented Director of Individual Giving to create and implement a comprehensive development strategy that attracts and engages HNWI donors and other individual donors to support our mission and achieve our long-range development goals and objectives. The right candidate will have a proven track record of building a major donor program from the ground up with skill, innovative ideas, and energy. The position will be a critical part of a larger fundraising team pursuing both individual and institutional donors. The position reports to Executive Director, MSI-US and will be responsible for leading a small team of development staff.
· Build and manage a comprehensive major gifts program for high net worth individuals (HNWIs);
· Devise a major donor strategy and work plan with indicators of success; regularly track progress against work plan goals and objectives to keep development team on task and provide updates to MSI leadership and board;
· Formulate our strategy to implement a Donor Engagement Committee advising the board and staff on matters of fundraising and new donor acquisition.
· Create and implement tailored cultivation, solicitation and stewardship plans for HNWIs to engage and upgrade donors;
· Communicate with and make direct, face-to-face donor solicitations, and assist junior staff with their portfolio development (e.g. provide planning support, strategic advice, and help with donor communications);
· Oversee implementation of fundraising tools including a wealth screening program and CRM system to aid in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding new and existing donors. Utilize systems to maintain accurate records of all donor interactions, individuals' programmatic interests, trends in giving, and type of support to solicit;
· Work in collaboration with the Executive Director and UK-based senior leadership team to align the major gift program with broader organizational fundraising goals;
· Prepare written materials including visit strategies/briefings, correspondence, solicitation, and pledge documents;
· Produce proposals and subsequent reports to solicit restricted and unrestricted funding from individual prospects and donors;
· Plan and implement, in partnership with other staff and volunteers, major donor cultivation and stewardship events;
· Collaborate with the Communications Officer to implement solid communications strategies across major gift program.
Minimum seven (7) years successful experience in major gift fundraising, including building a major gifts program and cultivating and soliciting gifts of $10,000 and up from high net worth individuals, preferably for a non-profit engaged in international issues.
Proven track record in, and excited by the challenge of, building up a nascent major donor program and growing revenue through prospecting, qualifying, and closing new HNWI donors;
Successful in developing and instituting cultivation and solicitation strategies to engage and upgrade mid-level donors;
Ability to understand the needs and interests of major gift donors to develop successful, deep connections with the organization; manage donor expectations around communications and giving planning and preferences;
Experience with using technology to advance the goals of major donor programs like donor tracking systems, prospect researching tools and wealth screening tools, and capacity and willingness to learn new systems;
Demonstrated leadership and the ability to manage multiple tasks at a time;
Integrity, comfort and ability needed to gain the trust and confidence of supporters and stakeholders;
Ability to work independently and in a collaborative team environment across multiple programs and departments;
Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills, both oral and written;
Excellent problem-solving skills, strategic thinking, commitment to results, attention to detail, and solutions-oriented;
Willingness and ability to travel domestically for donor engagement; and
Bachelor’s degree in applicable field.
MSI exists to empower women and men to have children by choice, not chance. We are pro-choice and believe it is a woman’s right to choose if, when, and how many children to have. Qualified candidates for this position will unwaveringly support and embrace our belief and mission. Our dedicated professionals are enthusiastic, empathetic and positive. They thrive in an atmosphere of dynamic challenges in their work, are personally motivated to succeed, and enjoy being part of a global team working to make a difference in women’s lives around the world. Confident, resourceful and action-oriented, our people are focused on delivering high-impact programs in collaboration with our donors to ensure our clients around the world receive the highest quality of services.
Team Member Benefits
Marie Stopes International - US is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and employee benefits, including 5 weeks annual leave, employer paid medical benefits, 403(b) retirement plan contribution, and a commuter subsidy program. We support a work-life balance and an individual’s desire to learn beyond the experience gained at work through both personal and professional development and growth opportunities.
MSI-US promotes Marie Stopes International’s mission to provide sexual and reproductive healthcare to millions of under-served women around the world. We also work to advance international reproductive health and rights within the US context.Marie Stopes International is committed to using evidence to continually evaluate our programs, and combines data with the feedback of our clients worldwide. ...We harnesses this unique approach to help inform US policies on global health.MSI-US works with US-based policymakers, government agencies, private foundations, multilateral and civil society organizations, individuals and other stakeholders to improve women’s access to reproductive health services globally