Voice of Witness (VOW) is an award-winning, San Francisco-based nonprofit that advances human rights and dignity. We believe true empathy inspires critical inquiry, leading to meaningful action. Through our oral history book series and education program, we amplify the voices of people impacted by injustice, teach our ethics-driven oral history methodology, and partner with human rights advocates to:
· build agency within marginalized communities,
· foster thoughtful, empathy-based critical inquiry and understanding of the crises they face, and
· inform efforts to protect and advance human rights.
ABOUT THE JOB
If you're a dynamic, innovative development professional looking to make a positive difference, we’d love your help growing our individual giving program during this exciting time for our organization. We’re looking for a motivated self-starter with a demonstrated ability to engage with broad base and mid-level donors, the creativity to generate new ideas and experiment with digital solicitation, and the strategic depth to maintain and grow a dynamic bi-annual fund program. You’ll be designing and leading our individual growth strategy, planning and executing a comprehensive bi-annual fundraising program, and leading donor stewardship activities. You should have excellent communication and analytic skills and a track record of fostering relationships and increasing funds. If you believe strongly in our mission and would like to help us grow as an organization, please consider joining our small yet mighty team.
· Raise $150,000 in annual contributions from broad base and mid-level donors
· Assess individual donor base and create 1-3 year growth plan that includes donor engagement, retention, acquisition, and lapsed strategies.
· Analyze giving trends and use data to make informed decisions about current and future strategy to continuously strengthen relationships and increase revenue.
· Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward current mid-level individual funders.
· Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward prospective mid-level funders.
· Manage a portfolio of up to 250 individual funders
· Maintain accurate donor contact notes and correspondence.
· Plan and execute all aspects of bi-annual campaigns (online and direct mail) to meet ambitious organization growth.
· Create and manage content for fundraising-related communications, including email marketing, social media, direct mail, etc. Includes working with freelancers to create print and multimedia collateral.
· Maintain donor administration activities (including donor database entry and updates and donor correspondence such as receipts, invitations, thank you notes, and acknowledgement in books, on website, and in other materials.
· Plan and lead donor engagement and fundraising events, including annual funder luncheon, that are a primary cultivation tool, and new donor strategy. Devise creative strategies for additional stewardship and cultivation activities as the portfolio grows.
· Engage in mentoring and professional development opportunities.
· Other related duties as assigned.
· Minimum 3 years' fundraising experience with track record of success in leading annual/bi-annual fund efforts, individual solicitation, and donor stewardship and cultivation. Must have excellent analytic skills and understanding of giving trends.
· Excellent organizational and prioritization skills; able to manage and deliver on multiple assignments under tight deadlines
· Highly organized, ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and flexibility to adapt to the work environment
Voice of Witness (VOW) is an award-winning nonprofit that advances human rights by amplifying the voices of people impacted by injustice.
Through our oral history book series and education program, we amplify the voices of people impacted by injustice, teach ethics-driven storytelling, and partner with human rights advocates to:
- build agency within marginalized communities,
-... raise awareness and foster thoughtful, empathy-based critical inquiry and understanding of the crises they face, and
- inform long-term efforts to protect and advance human rights.
For over ten years, VOW has illuminated human rights crises in the U.S. and globally. Our oral history book series has amplified hundreds of seldom-heard voices, including those of wrongfully convicted Americans, undocumented immigrants, and people in Burma, Zimbabwe, and Colombia.
Our education program serves over 20,000 people annually. Our oral history pedagogy has been used to train a broad range of advocates for human rights and dignity, including educators, writers, journalists, attorneys, and medical doctors.
Voice of Witness was cofounded by author Dave Eggers, writer & educator Mimi Lok, and physician Lola Vollen.